Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: $3.00 for a bottle of water! EAA should be ashamed.

Stop on down to the Aeronca site in the vintage tent. We always have free ice water.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

All joking aside, I think EAA should be a bit more considerate to those who pay a fair amount of money to attend the events each day. The maps should at least show where drinking water is available. Looking for a drinking fountain never used to be a problem, and to disallow anyone from distributing something like free water is evidence of what EAA has become today.

I can understand being fleeced of things like T-shirts and merchandise with the EAA logos on them. Hell, if you don't want to spend the money on stuff like that, you don't have to. $3.00 for an ice cream cone? Bring it on. But water is a very important. From what I recall there is no free water anywhere near AeroShell Square. EAA is not going to fold buy putting in a few more new drinking fountains in that area. There is something cynical about making people pay $3.00 for a bottle of water on a hot July day when they have already paid $27.00 to $41.00 per day to get in plus the thousands they spend just to get and stay to Oshkosh. What is next? Pay toilets. (I should not give them any ideas.)

Thank God for the Beer Tent. The walk is worth it.

And why pay $3.00 for a bottle of water when you can get a bottle of beer and a view like that. Don't ya just love aviation?
    What's great is that I showed my fiancee the picture of the "bartenderettes" and she's like "I agree with Lindberg".

That said, I've thought about once I get into the point of being able to have a display tent of our own (or if someone would partner with us) I'd offer water and ice free but ask for a donation for our non-profit. The idea of a misting tent has also come to mind.

But water is a very important. From what I recall there is no free water anywhere near AeroShell Square.
    I almost fainted because of dehydration one year and if it had not been for the guys from the Hawker Beechcraft, I probably would have found myself on the way to the hospital.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindberg View Post
    From what I recall there is no free water anywhere near AeroShell Square.
    Ya gotta stay up to date on the corporate sponsors though, or the Conoco Phillips people will want more branding.

With the expansion of the exhibit space a couple years ago, I think water fountains in that area would be good. It's a very long walk from the entrance to the flight line. Perhaps near the EAA member tents. Of course, I've got no idea what's running underground.

The problem here is this... Yes it cost 3 bucks for water at the fair, sporting event, concert, etc. but what the EAA completely forgets is that we are MEMBERS! We pay DUES every year. We pay the $50+ a day for parking/camping/Wrist Band at OSH and still get the nickel and dime treatment. We get TERRIBLE food from the Zaug's vendor who serves food on par with what I ate in elementary school as a kid. Absolutely ridiculous.

I filled my 3-liter Camelback with ice and water at the UW dorm before I caught the bus this morning. I was still drinking cold water on the return bus this afternoon.

My total expense for the day was $3.00 RT bus fare, $27 gate admission and $6.25 for a cheeseburger and a basket of fries (cheaper than most airport concessions).
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    That said, I've thought about once I get into the point of being able to have a display tent of our own (or if someone would partner with us) I'd offer water and ice free but ask for a donation for our non-profit. The idea of a misting tent has also come to mind.

A couple of years ago, there were vendors in the fly market that were offering free water. EAA told them it wasn't allowed because it was detracting from the business of vendors who SOLD the water. Go figure.

I agree with you 110%.But as i was told when i posted about this same thing{prices on parking,etc} early in the month;EAA has to have these extremely high prices to be able to run the rest of the year.I know now,I couldn't afford to come to the convention anymore.Just have to remember the good old days,when things we're more affordable.

Perhaps it's only because I come for one or two days but I don't find their prices that bad. Here is some comparison

Today we went to Washington County fair. It was $10 each to get in and free parking. We were there for an hour and a half. A soda was $3, bottle of water $2 and a smoothie for $5. I checked what it would cost to go to Six Flags in IL. Parking is $20 and tickets for the day are about $40 at the gate. I haven't been to a movie in a long time but people at work state tickets now are in the $10-$13 range as well.

I feel the prices for Airventure are in line or slightly higher. Parking for me was $9, and $27 each ticket for $63 to get in. We were there for 7 hours. The soda was 3.35 for a large and a smoothie was $7. For me that smoothie was the rip off for a smaller glass and more expensive then the fair I was at today.

We walked in EAA with two bottles of our own water in our backpack. I'm not sure of too many places where you can bring your own food/water in. Overall I feel EAA did a great job with Airventure and have no real complaints on their prices.

It might just be me, but it sounds like you folks are pretty cheap! I drove 18hrs to come to Osh, and payed for a week in the UW, bus passes, etc etc ... Like many of you, and it sounds like after all that your bitching over a $3.00 bottle of water?? Really??? I guess if it's that bad there is annother option, Stay Home!