Thread: Looking for Advice from Locals at KPWK (Chicago Executive)

Looking for Advice from Locals at KPWK (Chicago Executive)

My wife and I are flying in to KPWK on Friday and I would love to hear from some locals on how Chicago Approach and KPWK Tower treat GA pilots. We're coming from 36WI and will file a flight plan and grab VFR flight following to get in the system. Just wondering if anyone can share experiences landing a non-turbine aircraft at KPWK. Anything special I should be asking for or expecting?

Thanks a bunch.
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website

We go in there in C180 & in a jet & are treated the same regardless. Good folks in the tower, it isn't a big deal.

Thanks Janet! That's the same information I received from a nice chap I recently attended an Iron Maiden show with. Good to know that the crew at KPWK is easy to work with.
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website

David, I've been in there off and on for many years. Just be aware that there may be a steady stream of jets and other high performance traffic out there at 3,000'-4,000', keep your eyes and ears open.
    Be familar with the visual reporting points you may be asked to report over. Most likely they won't let you arrive or depart from the west because of the O'Hare traffic, which is closer than you think.
    Be familar with the airport diagram, runways and taxiways, and have it out at landing, the airport layout is somewhat confusing if your not familar.
    Other than that it's pretty standard.

Dave,

I don't know I'd trust those IM fans, they can be a real rowdy bunch, especially the foreign ones....

Quote Originally Posted by champ driver View Post
    David, I've been in there off and on for many years. Just be aware that there may be a steady stream of jets and other high performance traffic out there at 3,000'-4,000', keep your eyes and ears open.
    Be familar with the visual reporting points you may be asked to report over. Most likely they won't let you arrive or depart from the west because of the O'Hare traffic, which is closer than you think.
    Be familar with the airport diagram, runways and taxiways, and have it out at landing, the airport layout is somewhat confusing if your not familar.
    Other than that it's pretty standard.
    I suspected there would be a lot of jet traffic above us. We'll keep an eye out for sure. As for reporting points and the taxiway diagrams, we'll have Foreflight up the whole time which should make both of those tasks a little easier. I know there is a lot of construction going on there right now so some of the taxiways are closed by NOTAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet Davidson View Post
    Dave,

I don't know I'd trust those IM fans, they can be a real rowdy bunch, especially the foreign ones....
    It's amazing what "The Number of the Beast" will do to an nice lad from Burnley.
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website