Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: So we're renting out flight line space now?

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Knapinski View Post
    No, not a large part. 12-15 spots. And more than 75 spots are being added to homebuilt parking and camping this year because of demand in those areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    The flyer that started this thread shows the chalets as being removed from the flightline, more to the west, adjacent to Wittman road. I've just seen a photo of the area taken the other day, showing the concrete going in, and while it's difficult to tell from the picture, it looks to me like they are going to be right on the flightline, not back just east of Wittman road. Can someone please clarify?
    The picture in the flyer that Jeff refers to shows a rectangle that clearly does not extend all the way to the flightline. In other words, mere mortals will still be able to walk between the new facilities and the rope as they stroll through the homebuilt area. That is the way it was for last year's "mini-chalet" called the Aviator's Club, and was the main reason it was a fairly innocuous addition.

On the other hand, we all have access to Google Maps and Google Earth which, if you zoom in on KOSH, show a beautiful picture taken in the middle of AirVenture 2011. That same rectangle from the flyer covers an area occupied in the picture by 19 aircraft, not "about 12" and not 12-15 as represented by EAA Staff. If, in fact, the new chalets really go all the way to the rope, that's 15 more.

Now, of course, that rectangle is just an artist's representation and is no doubt approximate. I hope for the best, that we'll still be able to walk in front of the new chalets, and that the real number is 12-15, because I trust that EAA Staff would never stretch the facts, given that we, the membership, have the resources to accurately and critically audit their statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Were there any additions to the shower facilities in HBP and HBC?
    Kyle,Just got up here today and took a drive around. There is indeed a second shower trailer next to the existing one. This is a good sign!
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Here is a picture taken Friday morning June 22, from the roof of the radio station building on the flightline, looking south towards the west ramp. The footprint of this thing is bigger than what is depicted on the flyer. Using last years google maps image as a reference, the footprint covers 21 parking spaces. It also covers the angle access road connecting Wittmann road to the flightline, which will have a big impact on vehicle and foot traffic in the area.

Jeff Point
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright
    Were there any additions to the shower facilities in HBP and HBC?

"Kyle,Just got up here today and took a drive around. There is indeed a second shower trailer next to the existing one. This is a good sign!"

As far as I know there isn't a shower fairy? Take a off the wall guess what could have possibly paid for it. I am not wild about the chalet either but the more you ask for the more real estate they have to rent out.
    Last edited by RV8505; 06-22-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    As far as I know there isn't a shower fairy? Take a off the wall guess what could have possibly paid for it. I am not wild about the chalet either but the more you ask for the more real estate they have to rent out.
    OK, I'll take a stab at it. In 2011, EAA grossed $35,040 from homebuilt camping, and their expenses were limited to the one shower house, a couple portapotties and the gas to cut the grass. This area has been underserved for the last few years, it more than pays for itself and I applaud EAA for finally stepping up and providing more showers.
    Jeff Point
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    The footprint of this thing is bigger than what is depicted on the flyer. Using last years google maps image as a reference, the footprint covers 21 parking spaces. It also covers the angle access road connecting Wittmann road to the flightline, which will have a big impact on vehicle and foot traffic in the area.
    Looks like a giant eyesore.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Looks like a giant eyesore.
    I really am surprised that the Chateau apparently blocks one of the paved taxiways, which is a good footpath through the area.

As to the additional showers in HBC, they are overdue. That whole area is a bit of a black hole as far as creature comforts go. The nearest camp store went away about 15 years ago (the space was taken by the warbird group), and there are no amenities other than porta-potties and trailer showers for a long way in any direction. That end of the campground (including the North 40) needs better access to a camp store and to some sort of quick-serve eatery, for at least doughnuts and coffee in the morning, hot-dogs at lunch, and something for dinner.

All this talk about showers... I have on occasion stayed in state camp grounds when I couldn't get a room, I have slept under the truck, and in the bed of the truck, used cold communal showers, etc., but I told myself a couple years ago if I ever go to Oshkosh I am "camping" in a 24' bumper hitch with popouts on both sides, a full bath, a kitchen, & AC.

Kyle
    From what I've been told--there will be a small store, and Kodiak Jacks is going to have food service in the north 40. HBC will just have to go a couple of blocks north down foundation road and enter the gate next to the new shower building--Kodiak Jacks and the store will be just west of the shower building.

Looking at Google earth map--the new Chalet is not on a taxi way--but on a spur of the access road.
    --looks like it will probably do away with about 10 to 12 home built parking places.
    Speaking of the Chalets--last year I had tickets to the Aviators club. Had lunch there everyday--I noticed something very interesting--a lot of older women were always in the building. On the friday of the show it was crowded--I ended up sitting at a table of these women---found out they were all widows. They had been coming to Oshkosh for years with their husbands and developed friendships with the other wives. After the death of their husbands--and not returning to the airshow for a few years .They found that they could still come to Oshkosh and see their old friends, visit--sit in a A/C building and have good food. Even though they were not pilots--they are part of what Oshkosh is all about--to me its about the people, the friends , and the bond I have with all pilots ( no matter what they fly)--
    Looking forward to the 4 hour flight from western Oklahoma to Oshkosh in less than 30 days.
    Kevin
    PS-I do like looking at the planes

On the friday of the show it was crowded--I ended up sitting at a table of these women---found out they were all widows. They had been coming to Oshkosh for years with their husbands and developed friendships with the other wives. After the death of their husbands--and not returning to the airshow for a few years .They found that they could still come to Oshkosh and see their old friends, visit--sit in a A/C building and have good food. Even though they were not pilots--they are part of what Oshkosh is all about--to me its about the people, the friends , and the bond I have with all pilots ( no matter what they fly)--
    Exactly. Some people will never be happy and they want to go about making everyone else just as miserable as they are. That's the only take away I've gotten from a lot of these bashing threads. Can't we just enjoy the fun that is Oshkosh and enjoy seeing our friends without the wailing, the gnashing of teeth and the tearing of clothes? If you don't like it, stay home or at least stay away from the chalets. More AC, new friends and often free food and drinks for those of us who want to be civil and welcoming.

PS-I do like looking at the planes
    Same here, but the closer they are to the flight line, the less I want to go look at them because of the noise from the airshows.
    Last edited by steveinindy; 06-23-2012 at 07:41 AM.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.