Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So we're renting out flight line space now?

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    And you'd have about half to two-thirds the attendance because you're limiting the audience.
    Assuming facts not in evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Antique Tower View Post
    The problem is the increasing stratification of the Oshkosh society. Some pigs are better than other pigs.
    I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    BTW, most people that I talk to do not want to park on the flightline. And that goes back decades where people simply don't want that many people swarming their pride and joy.
    Nice try. People that feel that way don't park there. And it doesn't address the loss of front line Eaa for the benefit of high rollers that runs against just about any grain I can think of in our world of Eaa......

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    BTW, most people that I talk to do not want to park on the flightline. And that goes back decades where people simply don't want that many people swarming their pride and joy.
    Only half true- this goes back to the mid-90s, when the flightline was opened up to the masses in the name of being more inclusive (and selling more flightline passes- anybody remember them, like pit passes?) When that happened the flightline was not longer safe and many old timers vowed never to bring their airplanes back.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Baughman View Post
    Just a quick comment on the golf carts - while I DO agree with you that there are entirely too many golf carts on the grounds, I would like to point out that as an EAA staff member, the carts are ESSENTIAL for doing our jobs during AirVenture.
    Zach, while you are absolutely correct concerning staff (and many volunteers for that matter) this kind of misses the point. Unnecessary vehicle traffic is the issue, not necessary traffic. It is worth noting that the new location of the chalets is within the "no vehicle zone" established several years ago (a good idea.) How is that going to square with the idea of giving golf carts to the high rollers at the chalets?

Wait, I've got it- valet parking!
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Downsizing maybe? Ok, I know this won't be popular at headquarters. There can be a point where more isn't better, it is just more! Simplicity, core display of aircraft. A simple presentation, this is supposedly a club gathering or at least that was the initial roots. Side shows to attract more visitors, that are not really more than just more numbers. The organization wants to be "inclusive" in statements I see here. That is well and good but there is so much "extra" around the core and the event is so big that it has really diluted the message. Chalets are certainly indicative of this and may I say exclusive, not inclusive. Sometimes families downsize to refocus resources toward what is important and this might be another way to be more inclusive for the organization. This is after all a club event about aircraft and celebrating personal aviation and the dream of that. It seems to have strayed a bit.
    Last edited by Clarke Tate; 06-14-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Chalets are certainly indicative of this and may I say exclusive, not inclusive
    I can't say anything but the fact that the NBAA and their setup was very inclusive. I was treated well, give free drinks and told to enjoy the air conditioning as long as I liked.

Assuming facts not in evidence.
    Admittedly yes. However, I see no justification to turn around and discriminate against fellow pilots simply based on their interests. The whole "some pigs are better than others" argument seems to be a little odd given that you all are arguing that your 'pig' deserves a better parking space than some other 'pig'.

When that happened the flightline was not longer safe and many old timers vowed never to bring their airplanes back.
    I wouldn't want my plane parked up there but that's just me. I don't plan to ever go to Oshkosh to try to show off my airplane so I guess that makes me a bit odd.

As for the personally, there's a reason why I've always joked that one could fit a parked airplane with something like the "internal ursine deterrent" system described in Michael Crichton's The Lost World. Nothing says "Do not touch" like a couple hundred volts at a low enough amperage to be unpleasant but not harmful.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarke Tate View Post
    This is after all a club event about aircraft and celebrating personal aviation and the dream of that. It seems to have strayed a bit.
    Probably most attendees would agree with that. And they still enjoy themselves enormously. But repeatedly we see that the Association views it as a corporate event about money.

But repeatedly we see that the Association views it as a corporate event about money.
    Show me any large event that is not or does not become about that.

Probably most attendees would agree with that. And they still enjoy themselves enormously.
    Exactly. To me it's about seeing old friends, making new ones and scoring as much "free" stuff as I can from people I'll probably never buy anything from. It's also about figuring out what I want to copy in my design for my personal aircraft.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    Unnecessary vehicle traffic is the issue, not necessary traffic. It is worth noting that the new location of the chalets is within the "no vehicle zone" established several years ago (a good idea.) How is that going to square with the idea of giving golf carts to the high rollers at the chalets?

Wait, I've got it- valet parking!
    What he said! And a PS, its not just unnecessary golf carts . . .