Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So we're renting out flight line space now?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    This wipes out a large part of the homebuilt parking.
    Not really. It's about 12 spots. The good news is we are actually netting UP about 50-60 spots because homebuilts are getting the converted "Red lot" this year. That's a HUGE win for the homebuilt area.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

See, what is everyone so worried about? Homebuilt parking, front and center as it should be at the EAA extravaganza, is given to the high rollers and the planes that used to be an important part of the show are shuffled off to a corner of the car parking and told that it's a "...HUGE win "......
    Somebody is drinking too much of the koolaid.
    YES, they ARE renting out flight line space and shoving us out of the way. This greed is getting out of control.

"someone has drunk the koolaid" was my EXACT thought there too!

My estimate from the EAA brochure is that 19 homebuilding parking spots will be lost from the flightline, leaving just 17 spots in that area. So we lose more than 50% of the prime flightline exposure space for homebuilt aircraft.
    But we've got some new parking spots out in the boonies, whoop de doo.

I don't have 60 years of experience that a few of you guys do, but when I think back on my 10 years of coming to Oshkosh, I don't feel that what I'm saying is drinking the koolaid. I love AirVenture. Every aspect of it. Always have. It's a great place to see thousands of homebuilts, warbirds, vintage airplanes, aerobatic airplanes, Ultralights, helicopters, seaplanes, big planes, little planes. It's a great airshow. It's a great time to meet with friends in the campground. It's a great place to see new and innovative designs and panel technology. A great place to meet with vendors. The list goes on.

It's just a fantastic week! It has been for me for 10 years. I'm now on staff at EAA. That doesn't change the fact that what I like about AirVenture has always been what I like about AirVenture. A great show, and I want to see it succeed and be available for generations of aviation people to come.

BTW, most people that I talk to do not want to park on the flightline. And that goes back decades where people simply don't want that many people swarming their pride and joy.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

And it now becomes much clearer why EAA took a position against the AirVenture Cup, this new chalet area is slap dang in the middle of where the racers usually park.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingriki View Post
    See, what is everyone so worried about? Homebuilt parking, front and center as it should be at the EAA extravaganza, is given to the high rollers and the planes that used to be an important part of the show are shuffled off to a corner of the car parking and told that it's a "...HUGE win "......
    Somebody is drinking too much of the koolaid.
    YES, they ARE renting out flight line space and shoving us out of the way. This greed is getting out of control.
    BTW, that area that we are getting for homebuilt parking, was going to go to warbirds. We made our case to the planning committee, and got the space. Yeah, it's over in a corner, but it's more parking for us, meaning more homebuilts for people to look at.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

I already decided to miss Oshkosh for only the second time in 40 years because I can't afford the steep rise in admission for my wife (50% price rise).

We won't be back.

Well thank God some of those homebuilts will now be parked in a location where it'll be nice to stroll through them, and take time for a good look. Keep the masses holed up in the middle of the grounds and away from the nice projects!

However, it would be nice if there was a prominent homebuilt presence in front of the masses. Everyone that leaves OSH should know that its possible for them to build an aircraft in their garage! That is not the case today.

Finally, no more !$^&!#%&@#$&*%@#$%&*@&@% golf carts!!!!!! To make it worse, these new carts are specifically for people who want to feel entitled. Ugh!

Chad I don't think one can argue that there is not enough Antique parking - we didn't come close to filling the area around the Hangar Cafe last year.

The problem is the increasing stratification of the Oshkosh society. Some pigs are better than other pigs.

My wife and I have hoofed it everywhere with our four kids in tow, one in a stroller, only to be run off the road by teenagers in six-seat golf carts out joyriding. WE can't bring a golf cart, or rent one. We can't even ride our bikes on the flight line. But folks on corporate expense accounts (many of whom are actually being PAID to be there) get to cruise right up to their air-conditioned tents.

I see the corporate business sense in this. I can also guarantee it will not be well-received by the old-school members.

Quote Originally Posted by keen9 View Post
    Finally, no more !$^&!#%&@#$&*%@#$%&*@&@% golf carts!!!!!!
    Just a quick comment on the golf carts - while I DO agree with you that there are entirely too many golf carts on the grounds, I would like to point out that as an EAA staff member, the carts are ESSENTIAL for doing our jobs during AirVenture. Most of us wear numerous "hats" during AirVenture, which means we have multiple areas we are responsible for. Unfortunately, most of those areas are not adjacent to one another on the grounds. Until teleporters become a reality, the carts are a must for timely movement around the grounds. In my case running the Timeless Voices oral history program, carts are a necessity for transporting WWII veterans and other interviewees from the grounds to the museum where the recording studios are located and back again in a timely manner.

Just my opinion here, but I think ALL the cart operators need to slow down a bit and we all - pedestrians and cart operators both - need to be more wary of our surroundings.

Zack