Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: So we're renting out flight line space now?

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    I volunteer and the EAA provides soft drinks and lunch and a small breakfast for free all day long and if I work so many hours I get a free pass next year.

For Example, Take a wild guess how much it takes to support one port a potty during Airventure. Take a wild guess.!! We all know there are hundreds of them and they are there a least a month before Airventure and some are there a week or so after.

Take a guess!
    The EAA Pays $50.00 per day to rent and service every one of the hundreds of port a pottys on the field for over 30 days. That ain't chump change. That is just one example and I am sure there are many like it.

By the way, those of you who continue to buy this nonsense, thank you! We need you to support the incredible circus that Oshkosh has become. Every few years some of us come see what the circus has become and enjoy it, sorta, but wonder at what a zoo it is and what in the world happened to Paul's vision. Oh yeah....Tom.[/QUOTE]

If you think your getting ripped off don't come.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingriki View Post
    If you think your getting ripped off don't come.
    Won't.
    Happy now?
    Think I'm the only one?
    What's that do for your program?
    Keep drinking that koolaid........................................... .................................................. ......................[/QUOTE]

flyingriki
    I know you don't want to go back on your antidepressants for the fear of losing your medical--but in your case I think it would be the wise thing to do.
    You slam everybody and everything --yet you don't want to volunteer
    You hide behind the name "Flyingriki" so you can throw insults at EAA and other people ( makes you feel big doesn't it--thats very sad )
    I've come every year since 1995 and never once had to buy a bottle of water ( plenty of free water on the field) So tell me again why it bothers you so much that people have that "option" to buy --or not to buy--bottled water??.
    I'm sorry your not coming to Oshkosh--but if you have nothing to ADD to the program--And you find no joy in it--Your right to stay away and work on your personal problems at home.
    Kevin O'Halloran ( my real name)
    Cordell Oklahoma ( where I live)

Folks,

Opinions are fine and dandy, but let's stay away from personal attacks against each other. It accomplishes absolutely nothing whatsoever. Consider this a warning.

Zack

I couldn't care less what type of aircraft anyone flies - but I do pay attention to how they treat others. Have to say the impression on reading this thread (and several others in the forum) isn't good. Fortunately I know most aviation folk (even Canard drivers) are decent sorts... obviously some exceptions though!
    "If it was supposed to be easy, everybody would be doing it...."

Proud designer / builder of Avian Adventurer ZK-CKE.

Come join us !!

You ever wonder why the motto of EAA is "The Spirt of Avaition" and not "Homebuilts Only"? I would suggest most of us aviators appreciate all aspects of aviation, from the basement builds to the Shuttle, from the ultralights to the spam cans, from the backpacks to balloons including the flying lawnchair. Some might even like a rock band that has a song about a jet plane? See you all in about a month to celebrate aviation.

Be nice everyone!
    If you have an opinion please state that opinion but getting too personal will lead to ruining the forum. We all love aviation and need to treat each other well even if we have a divergent opinion.

In my opinion, although EAA may have begun with homebuilding, even then it was more than just that. Paul had been a miitlary pilot and liked warbirds. Osh had Steve Whitman and his race planes. Acro was part of flying for many of the early EAA guys.It is just not going to be limited to one segment now.

Those who want it to be just inexpensive homebuilding, should have their own mini convention somewhere and they can keep it very basic and very cheap and maybe bottled water will only cost a dollar there. But I don't think attendance will be very large.

Like some of our other posters, I am somewhat put off by having a VIP chalet area, that is just sold to the high bidder, rather than a true ip like perhaps Bob Hoover. Maybe the EAA can profit so much that a few of these are worthwhile, but I hope it does not grow so much that it takes up a lot of prime space that used to be open to anyone.

I liked EAA when we were pretty much all Indians, and not when there are few chiefs who bought their status and all the rest are 2nd class.

I once was sponsored at a Canadian airshow by Players Cigarettes. Nice folks, even after I told them that I felt sort of funny since I didn't smoke. It was all catered food in the chalet, all free, they told me to help myself so I did. I think I ate 2 dozen fresh strawberries dipped in chocolate, and it was nice to be out of the sun.

At one of the ski areas in Aspen, the restaurant is split with one half being normal quick line like burgers. There is another side where you can sit down to table service and order really good food, at of course a higher price.
    That is the way to do it, don't take something away from the average person, just make another level available to those who want and will pay for that extra.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 06-17-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    In my opinion, although EAA may have begun with homebuilding, even then it was more than just that. Paul had been a miitlary pilot and liked warbirds. Osh had Steve Whitman and his race planes. Acro was part of flying for many of the early EAA guys.It is just not going to be limited to one segment now.
    Here's the point. EAA began as a homebuilt organization - the name itself says so. In today's world, EAA has significantly dropped its support for homebuilding - whether we're talking taking the prime display parking slots and erecting chalets, or whether we're talking putting a PC-12 in the magazine as a feature article. It isn't like the organization has just added additional segments outside homebuilding (few complain about antiques or warbirds), no, it has eliminated homebuilt content and replaced it with things that are seen as a stick in the eye by those of us who are passionate about homebuilding.

That's the problem.

An analogy would be if you went to a college football game and found they had reduced the game from 60 minutes to 20 minutes, but the marching band performed for 3 hours at halftime. You might not appreciate the change, even though you don't have anything against marching bands...

I've been to almost every EAA in Oshkosh including the first. Easy for me as I only live about 200 miles west. Even flew in now and then depending on time and weather. Sometimes I stay for a long day or maybe 2-3 days. Granted the convention isn't now what it was in 1969 and sometimes you wonder what a certain vendor has to do with aviation but as more folks attend it cost more to put a 'show' on and you either raise the price of admission (much hollering) or have a set price to display a product (reduces the hollering about ticket prices).

I like to look at anything that flies although at age 73 I wondering how much longer I can keep hoofing it around. Seems there's something for everyone and I look forward to EAA Oshkosh every year. See you there!!

Mike Berg
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!