Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: So we're renting out flight line space now?

It takes alot of money to operate the EAA and the programs it provides.

Alot of people feel offended by the proximity of richer folks---I don't. But aren't they given special privileges? No, they are just enjoying the actualness of their wealth. I have no problem with that. In fact, bring them in! I love the money that peels away from their bulging wallets and floats on down to our organization! And all I have to do is not ride around on a golf cart? I'm in!
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

Oh, wait a sec! I almost forgot! It's not that I must not ride a golf cart, that's not the point at all. It's that I must bear to see someone ELSE ride one when I can't! That's not so bad except those people include rich guys! (who spent way more than I did to come here---but that doesn't matter!)
    (However, I respect the feelings of members who feel let down, please don't take offense.)
    Last edited by WingsAloft; 06-16-2012 at 07:52 AM.

I'm a "broke" flight student. He's a Boeing CEO. I'm sitting in the sun on a bench, he's sitting in the shade in a pleasant roped-off area. I order a tuna sandwich, he orders...what was it called? I arrived via Piper, he arrived via Lear. I look at him and say, sure glad there exists Boeing 747's. He looks at me and says, sure glad there exists the masses to stuff them into. Soooooo? Would I be offended? Will I refuse to enjoy my tuna sandwich until HE has to eat one? Will I not enjoy my bench until HE is reduced to sitting on one? Will I not thrill in the adventures of being a broke flight student until HE'S a broke flight student? Will I insist on such equality? No! Why? Because there is, on the other side of the world, a little girl in the slums of Asia longing at an overhead airliner. Longing to soar, but longing more to just eat. Folks, WE are the ones in the nice, pleasant roped-off area.
    Last edited by WingsAloft; 06-16-2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: myspelld a wird

And furthermore!

We should HELP that little girl! (and the millions of boys and girls like her.) Give her the opportunity to learn to fly! (There is or will be soon a pilot shortage in India, yet many possible future pilots are growing up in slums YET they are not being educated and will likely grow up jobless...something's wrong here!) Expand education and YE in India! No dream is too small to challenge reality! EAA could actually contribute to this, you know. THAT'S WHY we need to stick together, RIGHT? To expand aviation thoughout the world. But of course every member has a right to voice their concern. I'm just asking you to consider this, that's all.
    Last edited by WingsAloft; 06-16-2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: added something

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    It takes alot of money to operate the EAA and the programs it provides.
    So...most, if not all, the planes and exhibitors that ARE 'airventure' are not only free but pay to be there (plus all the other costs just to get there, stay there and get home), 'most' the help is volunteered, yet they charge through the nose for everything from water to the privilege of sleeping on mud. If it's supposed to be a big fundraiser why not just say so instead of all these hokey excuses?
    I know, I know they need to pay for Rod's PR guy!
    Last edited by flyingriki; 06-16-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingriki View Post
    So...most, if not all, the planes and exhibitors that ARE 'airventure' are not only free but pay to be there (plus all the other costs just to get there, stay there and get home), 'most' the help is volunteered, yet they charge through the nose for everything from water to the privilege of sleeping on mud. If it's supposed to be a big fundraiser why not just say so instead of all these hokey excuses?
    I know, I know they need to pay for Rod's PR guy!
    I volunteer and the EAA provides soft drinks and lunch and a small breakfast for free all day long and if I work so many hours I get a free pass next year.

For Example, Take a wild guess how much it takes to support one port a potty during Airventure. Take a wild guess.!! We all know there are hundreds of them and they are there a least a month before Airventure and some are there a week or so after.

Take a guess!

This is to all you guys that are bitching about the fees , cost , etc
    I was once in your camp--thought we were getting ripped off big time.
    A month ago I flew up from Oklahoma to help in the first EAA weekend work party
    ( also dropped off some camping gear)
    I spent the day putting up signs on building and anything else they needed. Until you work on the grounds and see all the infrastructure --You have no idea what it cost and the manpower involved.
    I'm surprised that they can put this thing on for anywhere near what they charge us for passes, camping fees, etc---the grounds and building are not just there for the week of airventure--they are there the whole year---and it takes money to keep all that stuff up !!! Most of those big buildings have not been built by our $110.00 week pass--they were built by the money that corporations put up--So if EAA gives them some extra space on the flight line--so be it. Its the way the world works
    After 3 days at Oshkosh--I now have a better understanding of what it takes to put this show on. So much so--that I paid to became a Life member before I left--Money well spent !!!
    Kevin O'Halloran
    Cordell, Oklahoma
    picture is the camping gear we dropped offName:  138-3860_IMG.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  87.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    For Example, Take a wild guess how much it takes to support one port a potty during Airventure. Take a wild guess.!! We all know there are hundreds of them and they are there a least a month before Airventure and some are there a week or so after.

Take a guess!
    Gee....maybe the cost of water sales for an hour? Get a grip buddy. Now we're down to the astronomical charges at 'airventure' paying for crappers..... I'll just bet there is a little left over.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Halloran View Post
    This is to all you guys that are bitching about the fees , cost , etc
    I was once in your camp--thought we were getting ripped off big time.
    A month ago I flew up from Oklahoma to help in the first EAA weekend work party
    ( also dropped off some camping gear)
    I spent the day putting up signs on building and anything else they needed. Until you work on the grounds and see all the infrastructure --You have no idea what it cost and the manpower involved.
    I'm surprised that they can put this thing on for anywhere near what they charge us for passes, camping fees, etc---the grounds and building are not just there for the week of airventure--they are there the whole year---and it takes money to keep all that stuff up !!! Most of those big buildings have not been built by our $110.00 week pass--they were built by the money that corporations put up--So if EAA gives them some extra space on the flight line--so be it. Its the way the world works
    After 3 days at Oshkosh--I now have a better understanding of what it takes to put this show on. So much so--that I paid to became a Life member before I left--Money well spent !!!
    Kevin O'Halloran
    Cordell, Oklahoma
    picture is the camping gear we dropped offName:  138-3860_IMG.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  87.8 KB
    There are a lot of folks that seem easy to fool. Some even fly nice NON-Eaa aircraft.....and seem to be taking over our organization.

"I spent the day putting up signs on building and anything else they needed. Until you work on the grounds and see all the infrastructure --You have no idea what it cost and the manpower involved."

Did you get paid? So where is the cost?

"the grounds and building are not just there for the week of airventure--they are there the whole year---and it takes money to keep all that stuff up !!! Most of those big buildings have not been built by our $110.00 week pass--they were built by the money that corporations put up"

So let me see if I get this right. Corporations build hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of infrastructure/buildings for free and we should be glad we are paying for $3 water to pay what, property taxes (deductible) and what else (deductible)....?

"I'm surprised that they can put this thing on for anywhere near what they charge us for passes, camping fees, etc"
    I thought you said this is how they pay for all the other programs?
    Make up your mind.

What in the world are you trying to say?

By the way, those of you who continue to buy this nonsense, thank you! We need you to support the incredible circus that Oshkosh has become. Every few years some of us come see what the circus has become and enjoy it, sorta, but wonder at what a zoo it is and what in the world happened to Paul's vision. Oh yeah....Tom.