Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoring an Old A-65-8F

Restoring an Old A-65-8F

I need to replace my Lycoming O-145 and found an old A-65-8F on ebay.

It looks like it sat for a long time and has no logs.

Question: can this engine be overhauled and restored to service?
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Dan McCormack
    Smoketown, PA (S37)
    N24286, 1940 Aeronca Chief 65-LA (Lycoming O-145-B2)
    CFI
    http://flightmusings.blogspot.com/

Dan,
    Sorry to see about the Lycoming. I've been in this position myself this year and ended up going with a used half-time all the log books engine as my best way out.
    Answering your question, yes it can be done if the data plate is on the case, but it won't be inexpensive. You are going to need fwf, how about finding some salvage (tornado damage) or somebody upgrading HP?
    Good Luck,
    Dave
    Last edited by D.grimm; 03-10-2012 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanChief View Post
    I need to replace my Lycoming O-145 and found an old A-65-8F on ebay.

It looks like it sat for a long time and has no logs.

Question: can this engine be overhauled and restored to service?
    Legally Yes, I don't know parts availability for the 65. But you can start another log book for the engine.

Tongue Out haltripacer have 65 to sell

Last edited by haltripacer; 03-15-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Dan, drop me an email at neat1s AT yahoo DOT com. I have many files on the Continental A65 engine. It CAN be rebuilt. There are plenty of parts out there. Just don't pay a lot for the engine you are looking at unless the owner wants to guarantee at least the case and crank are usable.

Happy Parts for an old A-65

First check Fresno Airparts (Do a google search for more info.). They only take phone orders and ship everything C.O.D. They have a lot of NEW old parts available. I rebuilt a C-85 with parts from FAP, eBay and hangar salvage. It runs like a top and is going through break-in right now.
    Smurf

Thanks everyone for the great feedback!!
    Dan McCormack
    Smoketown, PA (S37)
    CFI

You did a great job there.
    As far as I can see you've replaced more than half of the details. Must be very proud of yourself.
    No kidding!

Older Continetals

I rebuilt an A-65-8 twice plus a C-85-12.... The C-85-12 was found in a basement where it sat for 20-30 years. The prop had a dent in it as if it hit an I-beam.

The best place to start on any engine without a logbook or any engine which had a prop strike is to obtain the Continental Service Bulletin on sudden stoppage. This means that everything that you plan on reusing must be inspected and yellow tagged. I never had any damaged parts, but the Cam and Crankshaft usually get reworked or replaced. If you need to replace cylinders, the Millennium kit is expensive, but it is worth it.

I used Divco for case work, Aircraft Specialty Services for major parts, Fresno for bits and pieces and of course Aircraft Spruce for screws, nuts, bolts etc.

If you have a Bendix mag - Al Marcucci at Savage Magneto's is the real thing.

If you replace the mags with Slicks, getting a kit with the gears already installed is the way to go. OBTW, keep your old gears when you return Bendix cores. They are worth 350 - 600 dollars each.

The FAA says once you have the new parts, start a new logbook, establish an ETT. It is up to you what time(s) you choose. I used 1000 Hrs as it was a nice round number. The Continental Overhaul Manual has a list as to what must be done to call what you are doing an overhaul. Both times on the A-65, I used a Crankshaft ground .020 under. In my opinion, since this is not allowed by the Continental Manual, I elected to call my work: "DISASSEMBLY, INSPECTION, and REASSEMBLY - using the following new and/or yellow tagged parts...." Then I completed the 337's on the Crankshaft and Cylinders.....

OBTW - you will need to review the AD's, For example on the C-85, there was one where a bunch of airplanes had been fueled with Diesel. It was a N/A after rebuild, but it still needed to be addressed.

I'm not an expert, but I get ramp checked at air shows and our local FSDO seems happy.

Pete

SB97-6B Manditory Replacement Parts
    SB96-11B Propeller Strikes and Hyd Lock
    AC 43-9C Maintenance Records Paragraph 12 - Lost Records
    Last edited by weiskopf20@gmail.com; 03-28-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by weiskopf20@gmail.com View Post
    I rebuilt an A-65-8 twice plus a C-85-12.... The C-85-12 was found in a basement where it sat for 20-30 years. The prop had a dent in it as if it hit an I-beam.

The best place to start on any engine without a logbook or any engine which had a prop strike is to obtain the Continental Service Bulletin on sudden stoppage. This means that everything that you plan on reusing must be inspected and yellow tagged. I never had any damaged parts, but the Cam and Crankshaft usually get reworked or replaced. If you need to replace cylinders, the Millennium kit is expensive, but it is worth it.

I used Divco for case work, Aircraft Specialty Services for major parts, Fresno for bits and pieces and of course Aircraft Spruce for screws, nuts, bolts etc.

If you have a Bendix mag - Al Marcucci at Savage Magneto's is the real thing.

If you replace the mags with Slicks, getting a kit with the gears already installed is the way to go. OBTW, keep your old gears when you return Bendix cores. They are worth 350 - 600 dollars each.

The FAA says once you have the new parts, start a new logbook, establish an ETT. It is up to you what time(s) you choose. I used 1000 Hrs as it was a nice round number. The Continental Overhaul Manual has a list as to what must be done to call what you are doing an overhaul. Both times on the A-65, I used a Crankshaft ground .020 under. In my opinion, since this is not allowed by the Continental Manual, I elected to call my work: "DISASSEMBLY, INSPECTION, and REASSEMBLY - using the following new and/or yellow tagged parts...." Then I completed the 337's on the Crankshaft and Cylinders.....

I'm not an expert, but I get ramp checked at air shows and our local FSDO seems happy.

Pete
    Excellent post, Paul -- thanks!!
    Dan McCormack
    Smoketown, PA (S37)
    CFI