Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EAA Worktable Article

I've used plain solid-core interior doors as table tops in a couple of workbench builds. They're probably a bit more expensive than plywood or MDF, but they're very flat and straight. Their thickness both contributes to stability and eliminates the need for doubling around the edges if you leave an overhang for clamping. They're available in at least a couple of sizes.

Name:  Bench.jpg
Views: 1410
Size:  67.2 KB
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Those tables with the hinged casters are nicely built, but seem unnecessarily complicated. Why not just use lockable heavy duty casters?
    Last edited by rgmwa; 08-25-2011 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Clarification

The retractable gear isn't complicated, just unique. That's one of the things I like about EAA and it's members, coming up with unique ways to solve problems. It only takes about 30 minutes to make and install them on a workbench. I could have installed lockable casters, no question about it. And they would have worked fine. I have done that before. Although I have had the problem of lockable casters not completely holding something in place. But, with the t-nuts and bolts installed as leg levelers on these workbenches, a good bump against them will certainly move the workbench. I am trying to think of something to put on the bottom of the bolts to make them hold better on the concrete floor. But if they do get bumped and move a little, no big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by rgmwa View Post
    Those tables with the hinged casters are nicely built, but seem unnecessarily complicated. Why not just use lockable heavy duty casters?
    Last edited by bschweinberg; 08-27-2011 at 07:43 AM.

The problem i have found with the lockable casters isn't how well they lock. The problem is that at least two of the wheels have to swivel to move the table around. Even when the wheels are locked, the swiveling casters will still allow the bench to move freely back and forth as the castor swivels. If you could only find a locking caster wheel that also locks the swivel at the same time it would be perfect.

skeeter

Not sure if this one has been posted or not, but I built this workbench for my son last Christmas. It is solid and there aren't any fasteners protruding through the top. He should have it for a long time as the top is easily replacable.

Plans can be downloaded here http://images.taunton.com/downloads/GSIW_workbench.pdf

Name:  gsiw2-2_workbench.JPG
Views: 1089
Size:  55.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hangar10 View Post
    Not sure if this one has been posted or not, but I built this workbench for my son last Christmas. It is solid and there aren't any fasteners protruding through the top. He should have it for a long time as the top is easily replacable.

Plans can be downloaded here http://images.taunton.com/downloads/GSIW_workbench.pdf

Name:  gsiw2-2_workbench.JPG
Views: 1089
Size:  55.5 KB
    Wow, great work... I've downloaded the plans and might have to build myself one once I clear out some space in the garage. Thanks!
    My flying/training adventures:
    amileofrunway.blogspot.com

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

Here's EAA Chapter 1000's standardized work table plans:

http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/w...l/tablefig.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Very nice! Looks like a new garage too.
    welcome to our website athandbag.com, we will appreciate for your advise.lv m51980 lv n58029