Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EAA Worktable Article

Ok I finished two tables. Went with a 1 inch overhang on the front and back, and 2 inches on the sides. I added adjustable leg levelers using t-nuts and bolts with a locking nut.

Name:  DSCN0098.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  84.5 KBName:  DSCN0099.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  82.3 KB
    Last edited by bschweinberg; 08-27-2011 at 07:51 AM.

I may add the retractable gear also. Here is a pic of the leg leveler hardware.

Name:  DSCN0076.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  99.0 KB
    Last edited by bschweinberg; 08-27-2011 at 07:49 AM.

Very nice! Looks like a new garage too. Is that a cabinet in the background you're going to install?

Thanks! This is my basement. The cabinet is actually an aquarium stand that I'm almost finished constructing. The long trim across the top front is still needed, and a shorter piece for the left side. Then stain and seal it. It's sized for a 120 or 150 gallon tank, the footprint of each tank is the same, the only difference being the height. The cabinet/stand is made from solid red oak, except for the inside bottom, which is red oak plywood. I don't own either size aquarium, so I'm thinking about selling the stand when it's finished. I had plans at one time to set it all up, but changed my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SmittysRV View Post
    Very nice! Looks like a new garage too. Is that a cabinet in the background you're going to install?
    Last edited by bschweinberg; 08-27-2011 at 07:52 AM.

I thought I would add this pic also. It's all the 2x4's for the support structure precut to size, ready to assemble, along with the hardware. However, the shorter leg doublers were cut about an inch long, with a final measure and cut just prior to installation. Same for the longer pieces of the lower shelf frame. I was shocked at the price of 3/4 inch MDF. Over $30 a sheet at my Lowe's. Becaue I made the tops oversized (64" x 26"), I needed two sheets of MDF. Total cost for both workbenches including the hardware, about $150, with some screws, 3/4 inch MDF, and a little bit of 1/2 inch plywood leftover.

Name:  DSCN0075.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  92.7 KB
    Last edited by bschweinberg; 08-27-2011 at 07:53 AM.

I built from those plans but enlarged it some to 4'x8'. I very happy with it. You can see my build thread below.

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/fo...lots-pics.html

skeeter

Nice table!

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter_ca View Post
    I built from those plans but enlarged it some to 4'x8'. I very happy with it. You can see my build thread below.

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/fo...lots-pics.html

skeeter

I went ahead and added the retractable gear to my new tables. I modified the plans to use 3/4 inch plywood instead of the 2x4s. I used piano hinges and t-hinges along with the 2 inch full swivel casters. Works great! Seems to be strong enough. I had the plywood scrap already, so all I had to buy was the hardware. This brought the total cost for both tables to about $180. More than I wanted to spend, but these suckers will probably be around for 500 years!

Name:  DSCN0101.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  90.4 KBName:  DSCN0104.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  87.6 KBName:  DSCN0105.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  82.8 KBName:  DSCN0107.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  82.3 KB
    Last edited by bschweinberg; 08-27-2011 at 07:46 AM.

Wow, i really like that wheel setup. Where did you get the plans for it. I'm going to be building a stand to hold my grinder, belt sander, band saw and scroll saw all in one. That's the perfect way to make it modile but stationary when you want it.

skeeter.
    Last edited by skeeter_ca; 08-24-2011 at 10:07 AM.

EAA Staff / Moderator Charlie Becker's Avatar
    Here is the link to the retractable gear plans: http://www.eaa.org/sportaviationmag/1001/RetractableGear.pdf

Here is a link to the video showing the retractable gear in action: http://eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=59403176001
    Sonex flight testing complete. Building a Super Cub clone, check it out at www.facebook.com/piratecub