Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What brand do you smoke?

Shocked

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Would you consider not using smoke oil and thus giving a break to the air and the rest of the folks who are breathing that air, especially if it is in a concentrated area like an airport or at an airshow? Does anyone really need to add to air pollution?
    Exactly, I agree.. Stop Smoking..

I had my oil "built"...a light Hydrocarbon carrier with LOTS of parafin content. Non skin irritating. Non-health invasive. Make great smoke that really hangs! MSDS is non hazardous in ALL catogories. You could put a campfire out with it.
    Best thing is you can run over 2 quarts per minute in a 4/6 cylinder motor and the belly stays clean! With Canopus 13 the whole airplane had oil mist on it unless you ran it tight...and it stinks (I know it's the "airshow smell" but I wasn't a fan of coming home reeking of it...). My smoke actually has a sweet aroma. I didn't mean to do it. It just happened.
    Best of all is while Aeroshell and Phillips Aero both sell Canopus 13 for airshow work the price is $16.00/gallon + shipping (which was 425.00 per drum to my location). My oil costs me $less$ than 10.00 per gallon!!!

In addition to full-scale airplanes some the local R/C club also are using this oil.

As to Bill's comments; Duane, Lester and Marion all flew smokey, loud airshow-croud pleasing acro from the '40's to the '60's. Sammy Mason was billed as "Smoke and Noise". A crowd fave.
    My God! The Planet has survived since then!

Nature is a lot smarter that some give it credit for...

Chris (who has installed several smoke systems recently and feels no remorse).
    Thank you, EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Redman View Post
    Thank you, EXACTLY what I was looking for.
    EM'ed you about the Smoke Oil. Sorry for the delay. Not online that often...this IS election season after all!

Chris
    You Tube only proves that more airplanes have crashed due to Video Camaras than any other single reason...

Quote Originally Posted by dusterpilot View Post
    What would Julie Clark's famous heart look like without the smoke drawing the heart in the sky? Definitely a true art form. When used effectively smoke adds a whole new dimension to the air show act. Give me smoke and lots of deep-throated engine noise. Now that's a show! I agree, we should not pour the smoke oil on the ground or pollute unnecessarily, but if the environmentalists don't appreciate our art form, they should go sit in the quiet solitude of the Grand Canyon that we can't fly over and enjoy their silence. And, please don't roast your marshmallows over an open camp fire. We don't need that smoke polluting up the canyon!
    I dig it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Chris, back before the 60s , people still thought it was fine to sit in a restaurant, theater, or other closed place and blow cigarette smoke in the air other people were breathing, even drive around doing it to children in a closed car. Blacks rode in the back of the bus. Cars did not have pollution controls, and you did not have most children in car seats and seat belts.
    I think we and the public have learned a few things since then and can and should do it better, on the things we know are right and wrong.

I'll give you that there were probably more great planes around then, and an airliner may have even had a prop on the front of it like God, and Orville and Wilbur intended planes to have. And there weren't any cell phones, wonder what idiots wasted their time on then>

Bill;
    I can agree with most of your post given the fact that I know mankind in general and we in the USA in point can EVOLVE!
    I can't fault people 200, 150,100 or 50 years ago for responding to what for them was completely normal and accepted.

What I will never understand is the desire of some people to target "X" (today's target of choice: airshows) when they went (and maybe even paid!) to be there! Did you not know there would be smoke and noise?
    You'll get more smoke in your lungs cooking burgers on a grill...

The problem with the "they shouldn't" groups is they are ready and willing to remove the Rights of the People to do what THEY think is harmful at the time to make them feel like they are saving the planet for us all. Hubrius gone wrong. When these same attack groups get to something YOU enjoy you get offended and can't believe THEY would try to infringe on your "Rights".

Life is a Death Sentence. It ain't a dress rehearsal. Do your best. Enjoy Life. Help when you can, learn when you can't.

One of my favorite movie lines came from the 1970's flick "The Towering Inferno". The Fire Chief and an Architect (film long adversaries) are sitting in front of a burned out building that people had died in. The Fire Chief says: "I'm gonna' keep on eating smoke and bringing out bodies until someone asks me how to build these things..."
    Paul Newman (the Architect) says; OK...I'm askin'!

If the oil companies ask for help from tree huggers with the proviso that "we ARE going to drill; will you help us drill the most non-invasive way we can?" what would the response be?.
    Last edited by Hiperbiper; 07-18-2012 at 08:15 PM.
    You Tube only proves that more airplanes have crashed due to Video Camaras than any other single reason...