Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm confused about the maintenance and annuals on an experimental I purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
    I found this:

http://www.landings.com/_landings/pa.../certs-ap.html

And did a search in my local area - found me, and a whole lot of other folks that I didn't know were here.
    Out of curiosity I did a local search & I noticed that several of the people listed are deceased.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    Out of curiosity I did a local search & I noticed that several of the people listed are deceased.
    You don't think they'd be able to do a good job for you? I'm guessing they probably wouldn't answer the phone when you call to get some references... You'd have to move on to one of the live ones (who would hopefully do a better job, although they'd charge more).

Assuming that the database "Landings" uses is pulled from the FAA, one would have to ask how the FAA determines when someone expires...

Alternately one could join their local EAA chapter and find out which of those jokers is an A&P. At worst you'll get a fellow who knows what a Condition Inspection is and so won't waste a lot of time trying to do an annual, and at best a deal in trade (but be ready give some presentations/classes on aviation stuff and learn more about maintenance than you probably want to).

At any rate you'll find people who can tell you or help you do the owner level maintenance stuff; packing bearings seems to have become a lost art to most of the world as an example.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
    Assuming that the database "Landings" uses is pulled from the FAA, one would have to ask how the FAA determines when someone expires...
    I'm not sure they do, which is strange considering at least one of the guys on the list died in an aircraft accident.

I just mentioned it because I know of a couple cases where the widow got pretty upset when someone called looking for the deceased husband.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Alternately one could join their local EAA chapter and find out which of those jokers is an A&P. At worst you'll get a fellow who knows what a Condition Inspection is and so won't waste a lot of time trying to do an annual, and at best a deal in trade (but be ready give some presentations/classes on aviation stuff and learn more about maintenance than you probably want to).

At any rate you'll find people who can tell you or help you do the owner level maintenance stuff; packing bearings seems to have become a lost art to most of the world as an example.
    You would be surprised how many A&P's I have spoke with that did not know about a Condition Inspection or that it only takes an A&P to sign the log books for one. A couple months ago I was at a friends place. He is an A&P and does Annuals at his place.

I asked him if he knew anything about Condition Inspections and if he did them. He did not say a word. After a few mins I explained about condition inspections he knew nothing about what I was speaking. After I was done he said. I will have to ask about this.

I saw him a few weeks later and he said indeed I was right about Condition Inspections.

One thing that would help, is if those that fly experimental would stop calling there Condition Inspections, Annuals.

Jokers...I have not found any of them. Just good people.

Tony

Well I can testify that there's one at mine. You're correct, though, I should have used the word characters.

The point is that the good people of the local EAA chapter will probably know and recommend an A&P that is familiar with Condition Inspections and is willing to look at Experimentals - if there isn't an A&P in the membership itself.

I consider it one of the best kept secrets that an EAA chapter is as valuable, if not more valuable, to an owner of an airplane that wants to learn about what makes it work and how to maintain it as it does to a builder. We have a couple spam can owners that would never entertain building an airplane in our chapter that come for that reason, and we're glad to have them; everybody knows something others don't (in my case I know what questions to ask about how to do stuff).
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

What is a proper log book entry for a condition inspection when the A&P finds discrepancies? (Unairworthy)

For example, if the owner wants to do the work on his own or sell the plane as is, or doesn't choose to have the inspecting A&P to do the repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    What is a proper log book entry for a condition inspection when the A&P finds discrepancies? (Unairworthy)

For example, if the owner wants to do the work on his own or sell the plane as is, or doesn't choose to have the inspecting A&P to do the repairs.
    As stated earlier, there is no such thing as an "airworthy" experimental amateur-built aircraft, so there's no such thing as an "unairworthy" one. If you bring your plane to an A&P (such as myself) and the A&P doesn't want to sign the plane off as "in a condition for safe flight", you get the list of issues that cause him to feel that way, pay him for his time, and take the plane home or to someone else, assuming that you're still within the last CI period.

You don't let the A&P write anything in the logbook - you get a separate document (that you paid for) that lists the things that need to be done to the plane. And I say this as an A&P. This is one reason not to leave the CI for the last day of the month in which the last one expires - if the planes OUT of CI, you'll have to either take it apart and put it on a trailer to get it somewhere else, or else get a ferry permit to bring it somewhere else.

And again, I say this as someone that does a LOT of CI's on Exp. Am-Built aircraft. No one can ground your plane - there are only opinions on safety, up until the CI expires - there is no Type Certificate to which an Exp. Am-Built aircraft has to conform.

My $0.02.

Even if the date on the last CI " Condition Inspection" is not up yet or due. As soon as you start the New CI the old one is void or expired. You will need a ferry permit to move this airplane after you start a CI and you fail it.

Marc its great you do this for people. Most A&P's will not even touch them.

Tony

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=2608772875001

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post

If the A&P finds something he feels is doesn't meet the "safe for operation" criteria as specified in the operating limitations, it either gets repaired or the condition inspection is terminated. There is no sign off for an incomplete condition inspection.

The inspecting A&P can certainly give the owner a list of discrepancies, which the owner can promptly throw in the trash can, hop in the plane and fly away.