Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Latex Paint for Your Homebuilt

EAA Staff / Moderator Charlie Becker's Avatar

Latex Paint for Your Homebuilt

Join us for a webinar on Wednesday, 10/9/2013 on using Latex paint on your homebuilt.

https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/568403578!

Presenter: Malcolm Morrison, EAA Chapter 1327 President
    Latex paint is a viable, non-toxic, and inexpensive alternative to traditional products for finishing homebuilt aircraft. This presentation will cover the history, tools, and techniques for applying ordinary latex paint, and will show you how to achieve a durable, high quality finish that you can be proud of. Malcolm Morrison EAA Chapter 1327 president has refinished several airplanes using both traditional products and latex paint. His experimenting with latex paint has led to some surprisingly nice finishes using inexpensive tools and simple techniques.
    Sonex flight testing complete. Building a Super Cub clone, check it out at www.facebook.com/piratecub

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Becker View Post
    Join us for a webinar on Wednesday, 10/9/2013 on using Latex paint on your homebuilt.

https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/568403578!

Presenter: Malcolm Morrison, EAA Chapter 1327 President
    Latex paint is a viable, non-toxic, and inexpensive alternative to traditional products for finishing homebuilt aircraft. This presentation will cover the history, tools, and techniques for applying ordinary latex paint, and will show you how to achieve a durable, high quality finish that you can be proud of. Malcolm Morrison EAA Chapter 1327 president has refinished several airplanes using both traditional products and latex paint. His experimenting with latex paint has led to some surprisingly nice finishes using inexpensive tools and simple techniques.
    Sounds cool. One of our Fly Baby guys repainted his airplane with latex, and is very happy with how it turned out.

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/latex.html

Ron Wanttaja

Very cool - and right on time as I'll be into covering territory on the Nieuport soon enough.

Sharon and Dick Stark's Morane is painted with latex and looks incredible - one would never know it's household exterior if one wasn't told.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Wow, I saw this just in time. I am going to try to hook up. I have used latex for R/C planes and plan to use it on my N17 project. Any tips I can pick up will sure be appreciated.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle
    Current Project: Airdrome Aeroplanes Full Size Nieuport 17

It was a great presentation - right on point, well organized, and put in simple terms for knuckleheads like me. Sure filled in a lot of blank spots in what I had read about using latex.

I was also really impressed that Mr. Morrison balanced the need to show his excellent (okay, scarily perfect) workmanship with a "no big deal, you're looking at the end of a lot of error filled trials, you can do this, too." And that he freely admitted that while his techniques have given him bowling alley shiny finishes, there's other paths and finishes that one can achieve.

Sadly, I had to leave during the Q&A session, so I missed giving formal feedback.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

EAA Staff / Moderator Charlie Becker's Avatar
    For those of you who missed this excellent presentation, here is a link to the recording:

http://bcove.me/hkevu2sh
    Sonex flight testing complete. Building a Super Cub clone, check it out at www.facebook.com/piratecub

The only thing that I would like to see addressed is the control, or lack thereof, of the material itself. I guess that has been my big hang-up with using anything from a hardware store is the fact there is no control over what the material actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    The only thing that I would like to see addressed is the control, or lack thereof, of the material itself. I guess that has been my big hang-up with using anything from a hardware store is the fact there is no control over what the material actually is.
    Uh, here's a clue. The label says "paint" it probably is. The best paint the manufacturer can make for the stated purpose and the price constraint while complying with EPA and OSHA regs. There are a lot of paint companies, the ones that do not provide $ value fail. So there is a LOT of control over what goes in the can. and we can learn some about it from the OSHA statements. Now as to whether any particular substance is suitable for a use it was neither made nor tested for, well, your mileage may vary. Refer to the first word in this organization's name.

And THAT is where the FUN starts!

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    Uh, here's a clue. The label says "paint" it probably is. The best paint the manufacturer can make for the stated purpose and the price constraint while complying with EPA and OSHA regs. There are a lot of paint companies, the ones that do not provide $ value fail. So there is a LOT of control over what goes in the can. and we can learn some about it from the OSHA statements. Now as to whether any particular substance is suitable for a use it was neither made nor tested for, well, your mileage may vary. Refer to the first word in this organization's name.

And THAT is where the FUN starts!
    Its "who" has the control that is the issue. Buying an off the shelf product that is made to a performance specification and not a material specification gives total material control to the manufacturer. The MSDS sheets dont mean squat. The "E" refers to experimental. Experiments by their vary nature require controls, and variables. When the material or process you are testing is itself a variable, the test is useless and pointless as the data is flawed. Do you see my point? I do not argue the technical attributes of a coating material, but you cant test and validate with something you have no control over.

Therefore begs the question - do any of the "paints" we use have the level of controls you aspire to have? The house paint companies produce millions of gallons of the same paint (base) where the aircraft industry produces a few thousand. So if I pull out a can of simple, well proven, single part paint from a big box or buy a system of paints from an aircraft finishing company that has 3 or 4 different layers each with different thinners and catalysts all of which are subject to the painter's whim in mixing, equipment use, temperature, humidity..... they both have the same variability?