Thread: EAA B-17 Hail Damage?

EAA B-17 Hail Damage?

Anyone have any info on the hail damage to EAA's B-17? Looks like control surfaces are pretty damaged. The rest of the plane looks good in the photos but its hard to tell.

Keith

http://www.9news.com/news/photo-gall...storyid=271355

Quote Originally Posted by kmacht View Post
    Anyone have any info on the hail damage to EAA's B-17?
    All I heard is it is grounded until parts arrive then it will be flown out.

Parts are on their way, and the tour will resume next weekend in Denver to fly those that were cancelled this weekend. Tough old bird...
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Can't really tell from those photos if the metal or plexi was damaged - but if it was, it's not obvious. Most of the obvious damage that you're seeing is on the fabric-covered control surfaces. As such, there's some parts to be re-covered, but that's not nearly as bad as if the metal was dinged.
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

There are holes in the fabric control surfaces and some damage to small areas of plexiglass. I don't think there is much metal damage. I expect they may be able to fix most of it soon.

Too bad the 17 could not have been put in one of the large hangars nearby, but I expect they were already full of corporate jets. Damaging hail is a little unusual there, but I think the storm came up pretty quickly and south Denver is in an area that does have storms.