Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ELT battery replacement

ELT battery replacement

My ELT battery is due for replacement in December. Is this an approved maintenance item for a private pilot or must I employ an A & P?

You can do it yourself and make the logbook entry: "Removed ELT Battery and replaced with new battery # xxxxx. Next ELT Battery due Nov. 2013. ELT ops checked OK. Name, Owner, Pilot Cert #"

Quote Originally Posted by dusterpilot View Post
    You can do it yourself and make the logbook entry: "Removed ELT Battery and replaced with new battery # xxxxx. Next ELT Battery due Nov. 2013. ELT ops checked OK. Name, Owner, Pilot Cert #"
    That's good so far,, but if you are complying with 91.207 it requires a A&P to sign off the inspection. Inspections are never owner maintenance, Battery replacements are

I agree with both dusterpilot and Tom. The battery replacement is preventive maintenance per Part 43 Appendix A(c) and may be owner-performed (and must be logged). The annual functional check per 91.207 requires an A&P and is normally performed at the same time as the annual inspection and normally documented in the annual inspection logbook entry, although it's not actually part of an annual inspection per Part 43 Appendix D.
    Michael D. Busch A&P/IA CFIA/I/ME
    President, Savvy Aviator, Inc.
    President, Savvy Aircraft Maintenance Management, Inc.
    2008 National Aviation Maintenance Technician of the Year

This doesn't really apply to me, but I am curious. I have heard that some ELT's are "rechargable". Is this true? Do these rechargeables simply use off-the shelf rechargable batteries that can be replaced when their lives are finished? Do they require special recharging equipment? Does this move them into the non-owner maintenance category?

Also, are there any ELT's that require dissassembly to replace/recharge the battery?
    www.portablefuelsystems.com
    Makers of the Alcohol Separation System
    Use our A-S-S to fix your gas!

Quote Originally Posted by teknosmurf View Post
    This doesn't really apply to me, but I am curious. I have heard that some ELT's are "rechargable". Is this true? Do these rechargeables simply use off-the shelf rechargable batteries that can be replaced when their lives are finished? Do they require special recharging equipment? Does this move them into the non-owner maintenance category?

Also, are there any ELT's that require dissassembly to replace/recharge the battery?
    READ FAR 91,207 it gives the useful life of rechargeable battery powered ELTs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Busch View Post
    I agree with both dusterpilot and Tom. The battery replacement is preventive maintenance per Part 43 Appendix A(c) and may be owner-performed (and must be logged). The annual functional check per 91.207 requires an A&P and is normally performed at the same time as the annual inspection and normally documented in the annual inspection logbook entry, although it's not actually part of an annual inspection per Part 43 Appendix D.
    I like to marry up the annual and the 91.207 required inspection also. it saves time and costs for the owner. As you say, there is no requirement to do that.

Thanks to all. The replacement was simple and I made the logbook entry as described.

Do You have the new style 406 ELT or the old small yellow type?
    If it is the 406 how much did it cost?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bill greenwood View Post
    do you have the new style 406 elt or the old small yellow type?if it is the 406 how much did it cost?thanks
    121.5 mhz