Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When to arrive at Camp Scholler to camp EAST of Doolittle?

When to arrive at Camp Scholler to camp EAST of Doolittle?

I have been camping at Oshkosh at Camp Scholler since 1972 (when I was nine months old). Back then we would come up about four or five days before the start and camp where exhibit building "B" now sits. Heck back then even the woods were partially open that late I think. More recently we have been arriving the Saturday before the start, and have basically been camping on 41. More people come up early, and the campgrounds have been absorbed for other uses. All part of change, and I understand it.
    This year I am bringing my young family, and would like to camp closer to the action. Does anyone know how soon one need to arrive to tent camp EAST of Doolittle? The area in particular I am hoping for is shown in the red box on the attached image. We plan on getting to OSH Tuesday before the show the 21st ***EDIT, Tuesday the 17th, thanks Sawdust***, the , so six days before open), anyone know from recent experience how well I can hope to fare?
    Thanks
    ~Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by glider90; 06-23-2012 at 05:45 AM.

Great Question. But one clarification - opening day is the 23rd, so the 21st (Sunday) is only two days before open. If you're arriving the Tuesday before, that's the 17th. Assuming that's what you mean?

Last year I arrived two days before (Saturday evening) and the best I could do was 17th at Elm. I'm planning to arrive the morning of the 21st (Saturday before opening), and hoping to end up East of Stits.

I think a lot depends on attendance each year, and how big a space you need. When we arrived last year, there were some very small spaces open closer, but not big enough for our large tent, canopy, grill, and vehicle.

Would love to hear from some of the experienced campers how early you have to arrive to get a decent spot in your red box area.

Wow, I guess I am do some serious hobbling! I have never been to OSH and have a weeks camping and entry fee paid for, but I can not arrive until SUNDAY night (the 22nd). Does anyone know how fast the "Handicap" camping fills up? I know I cannot reserve a space (according to the web site) We just have a tent and a small car (a HHR) any thoughts, from someone with experience in this area?

Thanks,

Mike

We typically stake our sites on the Tuesday before. You will be able to get a site in the red box.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

So with work up to Thursday before, and a 20 hour drive from Houston, I can't get there until Saturday. Is it "fair" to get someone else who arrives earlier to stake out and save us a space? Or is that abusing the system?

Groups stake out sites all the time. More are doing it every year based on how much further west we end up every year.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Thanks for the heads up Sawdust, yes we are arriving Tuesday the 17th. Thanks for the responses this far!
    ~Jim

I usually go the Saturday before to set up. There's usually plenty of room up there.

~Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

I'm arriving on monday the 23rd. All i'm carrying in is a 4 person tent and a couple chairs. I don't need a very big spot. Would there be any left by then somewhere near up front. I was even thinking if i'm way back in the back later in the week i could watch for any spaces opening up and move the tent up closer. Whatta think?

skeeter

I usually go up to camp around mid-day Sunday, and Scholler is pretty well packed that far up by that time. But then again, I don't usually go looking for space after I've already set up. You might get lucky and find some vacant real estate up there!

~Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313