Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flight Characteristics of Fokker DVIII replica

Flight Characteristics of Fokker DVIII replica

Hi all,
    Was curious if anybody has experience flying the aerodrome aeroplane Fokker DVIII replica. There is a kit locally for sale. I would like to get more info about the flight characteristics before thinking about purchasing. Thanks. John Weber

I am not sure about that brand or model of Fokker, but a friend who is an expert pilot used to have a full scale Fokker replica triplane which he describes as the only plane he ever flew that was really hard to fly. I think it cruised about 60mph and stalled about 50. Also if you pushed the rudder pedal then released it in flight the rudder stayed deflected until you pushed the opposite pedal, thus not self-centering at all like a modern plane.
    This may not be at all true of the biplane or the monoplane Fokker. They sure look good.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 06-04-2012 at 08:44 PM.

No experience with flying one but Robert Baslee's replicas are very popular in the WWI replica circles so I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. If they had any bad habits it would be all over the internet and I hear nothing but praise for these airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I am not sure about that brand or model of Fokker, but a friend who is an expert pilot used to have a full scale Fokker replica triplane which he describes as the only plane he ever flew that was really hard to fly...
    I don't think you can infer anything about the flying characteristics of a replica DVIII monoplane from an original Dr3 triplane...

If they had any bad habits it would be all over the internet and I hear nothing but praise for these airplanes.
    The only thing I've heard that is 'negative' about them is that they tend to not have the best glide ratio for their weight class and a bit higher stall speed than you'd expect with the size of it. However, there's two answers to that: 1. a parachute (either on the plane or the pilot) 2. a well executed forced landing (in other words, now how to actually fly it and don't ham fist it)

That said, I'd not turn one down if I had the chance to fly or own one.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I appreciate the input. Thanks. John Weber

Conventional wisdom in all the Airdrome aircraft is that if one can pilot a Champ there is no problem flying his planes.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From what I heard from Harvey, the test pilot for Robert's planes, the prototype D-VIII was one hot ship - fast, maneuverable - but maybe a bit too hot and unforgiving for newer pilots (most of Robert's customers). So, a bigger wing was put on it which really softened the flight characteristics to more Cub-like and easy to fly. I would imagine the kit you are looking at has the 'big wing'. Airdrome D-VIII take off and landing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaQvXFGVLJQ
    Last edited by snj5; 06-07-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snj5 View Post
    From what I heard from Harvey, the test pilot for Robert's planes, the prototype D-VIII was one hot ship - fast, maneuverable - but maybe a bit too hot and unforgiving for newer pilots (most of Robert's customers). So, a bigger wing was put on it which really softened the flight characteristics to more Cub-like and easy to fly. I would imagine the kit you are looking at has the 'big wing'. Airdrome D-VIII take off and landing:
    It's something to keep in mind: All WWI replicas are not alike. Remember, the original airplanes were designed before the "art" was completely understood. In addition, remember that stability was *not* a desired feature for a fighter aircraft back then.

I knew a guy who owned a Fokker Triplane replica. He had several airplanes, but I figure he'd fly the Triplane most of the time. Nope. No yaw stability (as reported earlier) due to a total lack of a vertical stabilizer. Paradoxically, it had an extreme sensitivity to crosswinds...he often used wing-walkers to take him out to the runway. Finally, it was nearly blind on the ground, as the middle wing blocked his view forward in the three-point attitude (that's why the Triplane had those cutouts on the trailing edge).

Almost everyone who wants a WWI replica wants a "Cub with Guns," but the original designs were not Cubs. If you want a plane to fly for fun, you don't want something with the lack of stability, vicious stall, and poorly harmonized controls of the original.

It sounds like Airdrome is on the right track to keep the right appearance while making the plane more fun to fly, but don't assume the same of other replicas until you see some feedback from people who have flown them. Your other option might be to consider some of the more-modern homebuilts that mimic the appearance of WWI fighters but were designed from the ground up as fun, everyday airplanes. There's a nice scale replica of the SE-5A and the Boredom Fighter, for example. Or for that matter, the Fly Baby biplane.

Ron Wanttaja

That plane is [almost] better looking than a stock Fly Baby!

edit: okay, I added the part in brackets later.