Thread: Fairey Firefly accident

Fairey Firefly accident

I would like to put this on a separate topic under warbirds, but I am getting a message from this site, that I "am not logged in" and so can't write a separte new message. Don't understand this, it knows who I am by name, still wont' let me write.

Any, I just saw on another forum that good friend and EAA member Eddie Kurdzel (sp?) is fine following a "gear collaspe" in his Firefly on landing at an airshow Sun at San Diego Gillespie field. The damage to the plane looks not to bad other than prop.
    have no other info.
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 06-04-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Split from original thread.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I would like to put this on a separate topic under warbirds, but I am getting a message from this site, that I "am not logged in" and so can't write a separte new message. Don't understand this, it knows who I am by name, still wont' let me write.
    That's very odd, Bill - I've never come across that before but I'm investigating.

In other news, I've seen one pic of the Firefly incident with no explanation - glad to hear that the damage is modest and of course especially that Eddie is okay!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

I've had the same issue, but only at work and only if I take more than a minute or so to post. I figured it was there firewall but now I know I'm not alone.

I phoned Eddie last night and got the story of his problem landing. He was flying in the show at his home airport, came in for a normal landing, and after touchdown on the main wheels the left main gear gave way. This caused a swerve to the right and as he went off the runway the right gear gave way also. So gear and prop damage, and they don't know about any engine damage at this point. He thinks it was a part that holds the gear down that fractured.
    The good thing, of course, is no one hurt at all. Eddie had his drop tanks on, but they were empty, and thankfully no fire.
    And it happened right in front of his hangar, so convenient on that.