Thread: Sopwith Baby passed airworthiness inspection.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sopwith Baby passed airworthiness inspection.

Yea! The Airdrome Sopwith Baby passed and was granted its airworthiness certificate today! My second homebuilt, a modest practical flying replica of the WW1 Sopwith Baby version.

Historically, the last 70 Parnall-built Sopwith Babies were built as landplanes, and known as Hamble Baby Converts. Although a few were deployed forward as observation planes, most were used as trainers. This Airdrome replica takes advantage of the base Tabloid aircraft wide fuselage to give an a WW1 scout that is very comfortable plane for larger modern pilots like me at 6'2" and 250 pounds.

N8184 is marked as a 1917 operational Naval aircraft. The engine is a 110 Rotec with a Culver climb prop. Interestingly, the Airdrome plane replicates the original wheel aileron control and has several original and reproduction cockpit fittings. Cockpit - note wheel, original altimeter and compass, replica Tampier quadrant and ASI.

More soon! Moving in a week or so to the test field for first hops. Hope it flies ok!!! And, hope I can fly it!!
    The Airdrome Sopwith Tabloid, Schneider and Baby are basically the same airframe, differing in small details and engine. The length is 22'10" with a wingspan of about 25'8".
    Airdrome Baby N8184 weighed in at 890 pounds, and will carry a crew weight of 400 pounds with a MAC at 32% - easy peasy.. The weight of the Rotec before the wings allows a much higher payload after. N8184 is a bit heavier due to an extra layer of paint (we changed colors) at about 30 lbs and lots of detais such as a cast metal Lewis gun replica.

The series can be set up as a side-by side or one very comfortable big guy (yea me!). The original Baby config was a single seat with a wheel and rudder bar, which is what we used. It is a bit of a Pup for big guys. I still have yet to do the ash landing skids, and a few other details, but she has a CoA and I am very happy.

Robert Baslee, who always likes flashy artwork planes better than my drab kites, remarked: "That's sure a generic WW1 looking plane". Well, that's exactly what I was going for...

Thanks to so many folks that made this possible! .
    Last edited by snj5; 06-04-2012 at 01:20 AM.