anybody know of an existing thread on this, point me there, please.

otherwise - I have a bunch of questions about

"Big Win for Experimental Aircraft on AD Applicability"

http://www.eaa.org/news/2012/2012-03-15_win.asp

First, I don't get ADs from the FAA. Including emergency ADs. Because they have no record of what component appliances are installed on my experimental aircraft since there is no type certificate and thus no type certificate data sheet. Do I need to register each bit and piece with the FAA? How?

Second, now I'll need an AD search to sign off an annual condition inspection. Major problem. Without a TCDS, will have to search by each and every previously certificated part. Every year.

Third. Let's say I've rebuilt the framistan on my experimental and installed non-certified parts in it. Not hiding anything, i have a full list of what went into it in the airframe and engine logbooks. Each of those appliances still has the data plate on it. Now FAA issues AD on the appliance, by manufacturer. But the part affected isn't in my aircraft or has been altered such that the AD does not apply. Before, I could have "ignored" the ad by entering in the logbook that I've considered it but it doesn't affect the aircraft because the part's not installed or it's been altered or i just plain want to figure out what will happen if i ignore it, after all, it's in an experimental aircraft. Now, do I need to go to FAA to get approval for an AMOC to the AD to continue in service? Or just make the same type entry as in the past? with or without notification?

Fourth, since I don't get applicable emergency ADs, do I need an AD search before each flight to comply with CFR 14 91.103 which requires checking ALL available info for preflight planning? See item two above, but change "every year" to "every flight".

Fifth, when altering an appliance from its certificated state, I have not removed or altered the data plate because that's prohibited in CFR pt 45 without approval of the Administrator. So must I now go back and get Administrator approval for the larger filter on my vacuum pump and the high compression pistons and electronic ignition, etc? And then do I alter the data plates involved? Or do I ask approval to remove the data plate and install my own?

I asked HQ for clarification on these questions. "Most likely we will not have a resolution until AirVenture 2012 at the earliest."

glad that was an advisory circular and not a reg. "big win" my patootie.