Many pilots seem confused and/or intimidated by "flight following," the common name for the radar-based services that ATC offers to VFR pilots. Unfortunately, the information about how to take best advantage of these services is scattered among various sources, including the FARs, AIM, ACs, and FAA handbooks.

To help address this issue, with help of several air traffic controllers, I created BruceAir’s Guide to ATC Services for VFR Pilots (PDF), which you can download from the preceding link to the description at my blog.

As I note at my blog:

This document is intended to help pilots use the VFR services offered by ATC. Flight instructors may find it helpful when teaching students and customers about these services. Although I’ve tried to provide accurate, complete, and practical information, this guide is the work of one flight instructor and pilot (with help and advice from several air traffic controllers at facilities around the U.S.). It is not guidance from FAA or a substitute for information from official sources. Obviously, current regulations, FAA policies, and recommendations in the AIM and related resources are, so to speak, “controlling.” If you have specific questions about ATC services for VFR aircraft, consult the references included in this document, your flight instructor, and the FAA—including the ATC facilities in the areas where you fly.