Thread: Stolen aircraft registrations

Stolen aircraft registrations

Not sure if this applies to us, but....

During the Sopwith's airworthiness inspection the DAR told me that people will steal aircraft registrations, Airworthiness certificates and paperwork from parked aircraft, and that one should not leave the aircraft paperwork unsecured.

Any experience with this out there?

I know that there have been quite a few cases of people running drugs etc with the flight plan filed under another aircraft's N-number but I have heard nothing beyond that.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by snj5 View Post
    Not sure if this applies to us, but....

During the Sopwith's airworthiness inspection the DAR told me that people will steal aircraft registrations, Airworthiness certificates and paperwork from parked aircraft, and that one should not leave the aircraft paperwork unsecured.

My response would have been: What are you or the FAA going to do about that? All I'm going to do is apply for replacement certificates since all the data is on file.....I thought the feds and TSA had everything secured at the airport.....

I am not sure the program letters for amateur built are on file. Anyone know?

I agree with Marty, millions have been spent to "secure" just about every public airport in the nation at a great expense, it's their responsibility, friggin boondoggle!
    I'm not sure what's with the double nation it's not there when I try to edit it?????? whatever my paperwork is in my aircraft where it is supposed to be displayed that's where it'll stay.
    Last edited by Racegunz; 06-07-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snj5 View Post
    I am not sure the program letters for amateur built are on file. Anyone know?
    Not sure what you mean by "Program Letters," but a copy of the Operations Limitations of my airplane were included when I requested the aircraft records.

The clear plastic pouch for the paperwork of my Fly Baby is located down near the bottom of the cockpit. It's "in plain sight," but it does take a pretty heavy-duty effort to get at them. Hopefully, this discourages the thieves.

The other factor to consider is rain. If it's sitting out at a fly-in and a rain squall hits, you don't want the paperwork getting soaked. This actually happened to me; I dried them out, then had them laminated.

Ron Wanttaja

I think that after the initial shock it would be damned funny to have an alphabet organization question me about whether or not my 7/8th scale Nieuport 11 flew from Panama to California in one night.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    I think that after the initial shock it would be damned funny to have an alphabet organization question me about whether or not my 7/8th scale Nieuport 11 flew from Panama to California in one night.
    "Yeah. Pablo seemed really surprised that the Nieuport has that kind of gross weight limit especially out of that short of a rough jungle strip. Amazing what a 65 horse motor can do, right?"
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.