Thread: Reinstating an experimental?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reinstating an experimental?

Hi all,

I was at the airport this afternoon, and was out in the hangar checking out my plane. I just happened to look behind mine, and in the corner, under a bunch of plastic was an airplane. I took a closer look, and lo and behold, it was one of my faves, a Bakeng Deuce! I don't remember seeing it there before, so I went inside and asked the airport manager about it. He said it's been sitting there for a long time, and it hasn't flown in ages. It literally showed up on the ramp one day, out of nowhere, and it's been in the hangar ever since, all covered up.

I looked it up in the FAA database, and it's been de-registered, with a "reason for cancellation" marking as "destroyed". Well, it's obviously not been destroyed, because I can see it right there! I was told that the airworthiness certificate was revoked/removed/destroyed or whatever, and that the aircraft had no papers. What does it take to get the airworthiness certificate back on an aircraft in that state? Does returning it to an airworthy state qualify to get it reinspected and reinstated? Or is it now just a pile of parts?

Best regards,
    Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

Quote Originally Posted by Chris In Marshfield View Post
    I looked it up in the FAA database, and it's been de-registered, with a "reason for cancellation" marking as "destroyed". Well, it's obviously not been destroyed, because I can see it right there! I was told that the airworthiness certificate was revoked/removed/destroyed or whatever, and that the aircraft had no papers. What does it take to get the airworthiness certificate back on an aircraft in that state? Does returning it to an airworthy state qualify to get it reinspected and reinstated? Or is it now just a pile of parts?
    Does it have a builder data plate? Somebody might have done all that deregistration stuff to avoid liability. It may be possible to return it flying status -depends on what ya got. Oh, and if it was built a long time ago, it would be a Bakeng Duce, they didnt' change the name to Deuce until the rights to the design changed hands ~10 yrs ago.

You're right, it's a "Duce". I didn't look at it extensively, as it was covered pretty heavily with plastic sheet and tarps. I took a quick look for a data plate in the usual location, but didn't see one.

You're not the first person to use the "liability" word. Wonder if that's how it happened. I haven't yet reached out to the current owner.

~Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

Since the aircraft has been deregistered, the Airworthiness certificate would be void anyway as it is identified as belonging to that registration number. The biggest problem will be to prove ownership of the airframe to get it registered. Apply for a new registration number, register it with the FAA, then get a DAR to come inspect it for issuance of a new Airworthiness Certificate once it's ready to fly. You won't get a repairman's certificate. Your local FSDO can guide you through the process.

-CubBuilder