If there is another thread on this already, folks, please let me know about it.

Anybody else remember the days when FBOs prided themselves on a "quick turn" as the normal order of business ? I worked line service for Duncan at KLNK back in the sixties, we mobbed an incoming with the appropriate fuel truck, red carpet, free ice, clean the canopy (and leading edges in the bug season), free booze if over 100 gallons, payment by cash or check or credit card right at the aircraft, ready for engine start in ten minutes or less - or we were standing tall in the line boss's office to explain what went wrong.

Today I fly EMS helicopters. Refueling away from home is a pain in the rear. They always park me as far from the terminal as possible and insist I go inside to pay. The counter pro won't process the payment slip until the truck driver calls (or WALKS) the ticket inside. "Somebody just took the last cookie, no we don't have any more dough, and sorry the bagels are stale. Hold on, I'll get security to open the door so you can walk back to your aircraft. What? You want a RIDE? I'll see if the fuel truck guy can run you back out after he fuels that Gulfstream."

Anything less than 30 minutes seems to qualify as a quick turn now. Meanwhile my crew is waiting for pickup, and the emergency services aircraft is - out of service. I pumped jet fuel for seventeen cents a gallon "back in the day", last night it was SIX EIGHTY-SEVEN. And the guy pumping it wasn't even wearing a tuxedo. But it ain't the price, I don't pay it, the customer does. They got me ready for start in 24 minutes and were PROUD of it! What happened to customer service? Or am I just an old fart out of touch with the new standard of American excellence?