Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First-timer to Oshkosh

Had a quick question if someone can answer it.

What is time should we leave for Oshkosh to arrive plenty early and avoid traffic? We will be staying in Beaver Dam, so we need some extra time in the mornings to arrive early by car.

I would leave at about 6:30 and stop for breakfast at Tabbert's restaurant on Hwy 26 in Rosendale, WI on your way up. The food is fantastic there. We've been doing that for 10+ years.

I only drive from Fon du Lac, but expect it to take perhaps 30 min from there until parked on weekday mornings, and perhaps longer than that on Sat morning.Looking at the map it looks like you are about 30 min drive further than FLD, so about an hour to Osh on weekday, and hour and a half on Sat.
    Coming a little early in the day gives you some quiet time to look around the plane display areas and do so before the day gets too hot. I like to get there by 8:30n am or so.
    One more thing I'd suggest is to have your group be folks that really want to be there, and it is not fun to drag a couple of kids who are too young or a lady or anyone who really doesn't like like planes around all day and listen to them complain about it being too hot or even too wet or the food lines are too long or the food or potties not good enough, etc.If it is really hot or remember that the museum and some hangar areas at Pioneer airfield will be cool and may be a good place for those folks to rest.

And please remember that if you do bring kids they need hats, sunglasses, sunscreen, ear noise protection, etc, just like adults, and more so.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 06-24-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Congrats on being a first timer. I hope you decide to camp it's all part of a great experience. My Wife and I plus our 6 kids have been going for the past several years and found it un-complicated. Everyone you meet has a smile and very eager to help when you have a question. Use the bus to travel around the camp or trips town. Best way to get around. If we can help with more info just send me an email OK.

Yep first time to Oshkosh

Folks I am so excited to be able to come to the show I will be there sun the 22nd and in camp schollor
    just reading this forum gets me more excited. I am a private pilot and this must be the greatest show in America. However we will be in with United Airlines and 1.45 hour layover in Chicago, yuk ohl well.
    I hope to meet a lot of good folks, its gonna be a blast..

First time or tenth time every year is exciting. You will feel like someone painted a smile on your face for sure. Good shoes a must, remember sun block and enjoy...

Quote Originally Posted by gdevaux View Post
    First time or tenth time every year is exciting. You will feel like someone painted a smile on your face for sure. Good shoes a must, remember sun block and enjoy...
    And don't forget plenty of water. For the last 30 years that I have been coming to the EAA Convention / Airventure (take your pick) there has been plenty of free water available if you look for the drinking fountains spaced around the site and fill up there.
    Bill

Don't forget yer talcum powder......just sayin'.....
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195