Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First-timer to Oshkosh

Camping in Camp Scholler is the way to totally get the Oshkosh experience.

Either way you end up in Oshkosh, by bus or train, you can take a taxi to the registration area. Many people do it every year. After you are registered the volunteers on the "ramp" will take you and your gear to find a nice, comfortable camping spot via golf cart or gator. All you have to do is ask, and make sure you tell everyone you are a first timer, that way we will make an extra effort to make sure you know where everything is located.

Keith Moorman
    Chairman
    Camper Registration Ramp

I camped at Camp Scholler in 2008, 2009 and 2010 and found it a fantastic experience and it is great on the budget too! I have never had any experiences with anybody that I would call unsavory or anyone that wanted to take advantage of us. Actaully it's quite the opposite, everyone I have ever met seems to go out of their way to be so friendly and help out if you need it. Last year I stayed at Sleepy Hollow and also found it to be the same way, very nice folks and the people there seem to go out of their way to help you if you need it. Of course, as in all places, you need to use common sense. I always go by a saying I learned while in the Army in Viet Nam .... trust your buddy with your life ... but not your wallet. I think if you live by that rule you will have a fantastic time and will return again and again.

Have a great time !!!!
    Ron Osborn

Thanks everyone for the tips! Now I got to really narrow down my choices of what lodging is left this late in the game.

Would you like to go to OSH in style? 1950 Cessna 195? I will know in a few weeks (from today) if my passenger is going to be able to attend. I am leaving Saturday before the event starts, most likely about noon. I need to let you know that my return schedule is not fixed. I normally leave for home on Thursday morning, but no guarantees. You will have to travel light. I have been attending OSH since it was called Rockford. I live in Springfield. PM me or email me and maybe we can work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Fenwick View Post
    I live in Springfield. PM me or email me and maybe we can work something out.
    Uh, would that be Springfield, Florida, or Springfield, Georgia, or Springfield, Illinois, or Springfield, Kentucky, or Springfield, Massachusetts, or Springfield, Michigan, or Springfield, Minnesota, or Springfield, Missouri, or Springfield, Nebraska, or Springfield, Ohio, or Springfield, Oregon, or Springfield, South Dakota, or Springfield, Tennessee, or Springfield, Colorado, or Springfield, Wisconsin, or Springfield, Louisiana, or Springfield, New York, or Springfield, Maine, or Springfield, South Carolina, or Springfield, New Hampshire, or Springfield, Vermont, or Springfield, Pennsylvania, or Springfield, New Jersey, or the Springfield where Homer lives?

Great of you to offer a ride however. I hope you get a taker.

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    Uh, would that be Springfield, Florida, or Springfield, Georgia, or Springfield, Illinois, or Springfield, Kentucky, or Springfield, Massachusetts, or Springfield, Michigan, or Springfield, Minnesota, or Springfield, Missouri, or Springfield, Nebraska, or Springfield, Ohio, or Springfield, Oregon, or Springfield, South Dakota, or Springfield, Tennessee, or Springfield, Colorado, or Springfield, Wisconsin, or Springfield, Louisiana, or Springfield, New York, or Springfield, Maine, or Springfield, South Carolina, or Springfield, New Hampshire, or Springfield, Vermont, or Springfield, Pennsylvania, or Springfield, New Jersey, or the Springfield where Homer lives?

Great of you to offer a ride however. I hope you get a taker.
    Well. errr. aaaaah......I guess I can say that I am in the same Springfield as has already been mentioned in this thread, thus my not elucidating on which Springfield that was.

Oh, OK, sorry about that, Inspector. If I'd followed the entire thread I'd have realized yours was a note to an individual poster (the OP, in fact), not a broadcast offer of a ride to the world. Still, I was amused to find out how many of those similarly named towns there are in the USA! Have a great trip to Oshkosh. I think the area where the 195s park is labeled Interstate 195? Maybe we'll see your plane in that area.

Mike E

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    Oh, OK, sorry about that, Inspector. If I'd followed the entire thread I'd have realized yours was a note to an individual poster (the OP, in fact), not a broadcast offer of a ride to the world. Still, I was amused to find out how many of those similarly named towns there are in the USA! Have a great trip to Oshkosh. I think the area where the 195s park is labeled Interstate 195? Maybe we'll see your plane in that area.

Mike E
    Mike, please do stop by. I am arriving on Saturday evening (before). I will do some airplane parking duties, but otherwise I will be people watching sitting under that big wing on the 195. My plane is grey and white, I think the only one like that in our group. Stop and "sit a spell".
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Thanks, Larry, will do.
    Mike E

Larry, fortunately I am going to go to AirVenture this year with my mother, because she wants to go see aviation like myself, and the Steve Miller Band

So, I won't be needing any rides up there now. I would sure love to meet with Chapter 821 sometime and hopefully become a member.

Also, everyone else I hope to see you all when I am up @ AirVenture!

Feel free to keep posting tips and whatnot, I love to read them and make note.

Thanks again, everybody!