Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First-timer to Oshkosh

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First-timer to Oshkosh

Well, I am finally gonna take my own trip that I have wanted for a few years now. It'll be my first trip up there, and first trip alone. I will be travelling by either Amtrak or Greyhound, since I do not own a personal car. I am excited for this trip, but also somewhat nervous and overwhelmed by it all, already. Any tips and tricks to help me out? Also, I do want to camp in Camp Scholler this first time out, and also lend some time for volunteer work to help out my limited budget. But, my parents would prefer to have me bunk up in a dorm room, a hotel, or a room in a house. Problem is, I know someone who will be renting out a room in a house for $40 a night, which is pretty cheap. But again, my parents are worried that I might be taken advantage of or scammed in the deal. The other thing that kinda worries me is not having any personal transportation when I get there, since I will be 100% on foot. With my parents, they aren't too sure that they would want me going alone but that will be the only way that I will get to go to AirVenture. Other than that, I can't wait to make it up there. I know that I will run into plenty of people I know and trust.

Thanks in advance!

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    Where are you traveling from? Have you looked into ride sharing?
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway

I will be traveling out of Springfield, MO (if Greyhound) or out of St. Louis (if Amtrak).

I have looked into the Ride Share program, but it seems like no one close by has any postings up, as of yet anyways.

For the most part the crowd at OSH is rather trustworthy, if course you have to use common sense when your traveling or putting down deposits for quarters. I think once you are in the OSH area you should be able to sniff around for a ride if you need one. Take a look at all the seminars offered on the EAA site, many of varied interest on any given day. I'd check the ones that interest you & print off a copy & have that list to work off. You may or may not get to all of them, but it is some good filler from looking around at all the stuff.

Why not take the train up to Union Station in Chicago and then take Greyhound from there to Oshkosh? There is a bus station in town (or was last time I checked).

That way, you don't have to worry about your ride having to leave earlier, etc. I've gotten stuck a couple of times because of unforeseen stuff like that and in one case if it hadn't been for the guys from Swift Fuel, I'd probably still be up in Oshkosh (not that it's a bad thing at all.... )
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by pathollywood View Post
    I will be traveling out of Springfield, MO (if Greyhound) or out of St. Louis (if Amtrak).

I have looked into the Ride Share program, but it seems like no one close by has any postings up, as of yet anyways.
    I would suggest posting in the Ride Share program under "looking for a ride"

Camp if at all possible.....part of the fun of Airventure is being on the grounds in the evening.

Everything you need is in easy walking distance and there are buses running to Target and several other areas that are free of charge. There are several restaurants in easy walikind distance if you want to eat out and also the Hilton has a great breakfast buffet as well as dinner. You will find it easy to get around. Camping on the grounds is the only way to go. Great people everywhere.

If you would like to camp....

If you would like to camp, I will have an extra air mattress and tent that I would be happy to loan you for your stay. You will have to furnish your own sleeping bag. We will be at Camp Scholler from 7/21 to 7/29 with our travel trailer and would be happy to have you camp with us. Camping on the grounds is the greatest. We can also show you some of the ropes of being at the greatest aviation celebration in the world.

Getting around Airventure is easy. Shuttle buses run around the campground to the Airventure grounds frequently until 9 or 10 PM. Trams run around the Airventure grounds until 8 or 9 PM. There is bus transportation to the Seaplane Base for a nominal charge.

We will be running into town and to the Seaplane Base with our car and you would be welcome to come along.

Just remember, airplane people are just folks. You will find them to be friendly, helpful and will make you feel welcome at Airventure.

If you are interested in the above, post a reply with contact info and I'll contact you.

A.J. Pawlowski
    Tucson, AZ & Menominee, MI

Quote Originally Posted by ajpaero View Post
    If you would like to camp, I will have an extra air mattress and tent that I would be happy to loan you for your stay. You will have to furnish your own sleeping bag. We will be at Camp Scholler from 7/21 to 7/29 with our travel trailer and would be happy to have you camp with us. Camping on the grounds is the greatest. We can also show you some of the ropes of being at the greatest aviation celebration in the world.

Getting around Airventure is easy. Shuttle buses run around the campground to the Airventure grounds frequently until 9 or 10 PM. Trams run around the Airventure grounds until 8 or 9 PM. There is bus transportation to the Seaplane Base for a nominal charge.

We will be running into town and to the Seaplane Base with our car and you would be welcome to come along.

Just remember, airplane people are just folks. You will find them to be friendly, helpful and will make you feel welcome at Airventure.

If you are interested in the above, post a reply with contact info and I'll contact you.

A.J. Pawlowski
    Tucson, AZ & Menominee, MI

Funny you should "say" this. I wanted to post the same thing, but wasn't sure how to word it. The only difference is I don't have a spare tent and we'll be in Sleepy Hollow from 7/20 thru 7/27.