Thread: Lithium aviation batteries

Lithium aviation batteries

Hello all;
    I want to start this thread to open up discussion and feedback from all who
    have heard about lithium but not sure about it.
    I was an exhibitor at Sun n fun in March, so, I hope I met some of you.
    I am the original suplier of this type battery having inroduced it at the LSA show / Sebring 2011
    So far, so good with the pilots using them to date.

Andy
    aerolithium.com

Andy,

Do you guys supply Li Polymer or Li Ion batteries? Just curious, as we have begun using Li Ions in our acft at work (H-47's) and they are awesome... So far!

Brad

I use only the LiFEpo4 type
    the terms Li polymer refers to the packaging and Li ion simply refers to all lithium batteries

MyLithium:

I have read that lower weight and smaller size are the big advantages, but little on the down side of using them. Are they equally as reliable? Susceptible to excessive engine operation heat? Fire danger? Why aren't they being used in more aircraft?

Thanks.

Don

Other big advantages are; longer service life, will not self drain if left for long periods like SLA, flat discharge curve under load.
    Reliable.. same as SLA if kept charged, holds charge in freezing temps better than SLA, hot temps no problems, same as SLA; no fire danger.
    Some early adopters are already using them successfully. many people dont want to pay the extra up front even though the Lithium will be cheaper to own in the long run.

[QUOTE=Some early adopters are already using them successfully. many people dont want to pay the extra up front even though the Lithium will be cheaper to own in the long run.[/QUOTE]

Anyone on this forum using a lithium battery in an experimental? If so, what is your experience with them?

Don

Lithium Batteries

I am interested in Lithium Iron Phosphate battery technology for the big weight savings compared to other batteries, but I have heard that they do not do well in warm environments such as in the engine compartment. I am also concerned about the battery overheating from improper charging. Is the warm environment concern justified? What special design considerations are there for a charging system with these batteries.

BTW, rumor is that a major LSA manufracturer is planning on using this type of battery in a new model.