Thread: Looking for Shipping Discounts

Looking for Shipping Discounts

Our chapter has recently gotten some item donations that we've sold on eBay to raise funds. We also have had some clothing printed, which we will sell on our web site.
    I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for shipping discounts. We don't do a lot of volume, and I realize the purchaser usually pays, but affiliating with a larger organization to get lower rates could make our sales more attractive. We would directly pay the shipper, so I'm not trying to create some billing quagmire.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look? We do have 501c.3 status, so that may help.

Thanks

If you're talking hats and t-shirts, you likely are under 13 oz's and you won't beat first class mail PERIOD.
    Even heavier than that, the flat rate box rate for priority is likely to beat out even a heavily discounted common carrier (FEDEX/UPS/etc).

Talk to the local postmaster. I believe the postal service still does offer a discounted rate for not-for-profit organizations under certain circumstances. USPS is your best bet and the worst they can do is tell you 'no'.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

If I remember correctly, the non-profit discount only comes into play if you're sending 200 or more identical pieces and you go to all the typical bulk mail things (presort and bar coding). Info here: http://pe.usps.com/text/pub417/pub41...tml#vnameref_1

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    If I remember correctly, the non-profit discount only comes into play if you're sending 200 or more identical pieces and you go to all the typical bulk mail things (presort and bar coding). Info here: http://pe.usps.com/text/pub417/pub41...tml#vnameref_1
    Ah....I never tried shipping single items when I worked for the various NPOs I dealt with so I figured it was worth a suggestion. Thanks for the link. That's good information to have.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Thanks for the suggestions. I shipped a couple of CDs last week, and the USPS rate came up to $5.90 because it was a stiff envelope, and therefore was considered a package. A floppy envelope would have been $1.90.
    I used to work for a small company back when DHL did domestic shipping. Next day afternoon rates were really cheap.
    Every now and then I noticed some non-profit mailing sent to me with postage less than 10 cents. I tried looking into that, but I did see that was for large quantities. Ever notice how the EAA sweepstakes coupons have a safety message printed on the sheet in order to get the non-profit mailing rate?
    I think I'll ask around at the business resource center at a local library.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    One other thing to consider is that, if you do decide to use Priority Mail from the USPS, you can order boxes free of charge. That can make some difference on your costs, especially if you order a few different sizes and just have them on hand, as opposed to buying / scrounging up a box every time you need to ship something.

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...tegoryProducts

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation