Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spot

Anyone use the find my iphone app as a GPS tracker or PLB? - I use it to find my wife, kids, etc. (Just remember to turn it off if you don't want to be found). I am uncertain if it will work above 3000 ft. - seems to be the altitude I lose cell coverage in my area.
    Last edited by danielfindling; 06-01-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uavmx View Post
    I'm interesting in finding something that can be carried on person (hiking, skiing, etc) and can also be used in flight for tracking. Like the spot, but maybe with more functionality?
    The new Delorme InReach may be of interest:

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

~Chris
    Last edited by Chris In Marshfield; 06-01-2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Fixed typos
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

Nice neat holding pattern. What do you call that entry?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Nice neat holding pattern. What do you call that entry?
    It's called "crossing mid-field for entry into downwind".

If the map was zoomed in you would be able to see this was the pattern at DCU and included a touch-n-go.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Joe on the Lost in Oscar Hotel flights http://www.lostinoscarhotel.com/route-2/ used a cell phone(GPS) and instaMapper http://www.instamapper.com/

Ah, the turns looked like real nice holding turns (and nailed them in the same location every time around).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris In Marshfield View Post
    The new Delorme InReach may be of interest:

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

~Chris
    twice the subscription cost and you have to buy their GPS and then the add on "in reach" module....just can't justify the cost. I'm surprised Garmin hasn't come up with an all in one unit

I got one of the SPOT units at Oshkosh a couple of years ago. I signed up for the standard and the $50 extra tracking feature. My unit was very sporadic and I quit using it. Since I had stuck it away and forgot about it I also got billed a year later. Pi$$ed me off but....Guilty as charged...I didn't read the fine print that they would continually charge my account until they have a cancel order from me in writing.
    I may take it out this summer and try it again but the $150+ fees a year and the fact that it was sporadic with the tracking seem to be a little on the high side. Granted if I went down and I was saved due to having it...it would be money well spent. In this day in age when everyone is pinching pennies it is an additional expense that is on the very bottom of my list.

I took my bike for a lap around Australia last year (About a 18000 mile trip and to some of the most remote and sparsely populated areas in Oz) and had a SPOT with me, I didn't spring for the tracking function just the basics. The thing I loved was I had an "All OK" message programmed in and at the end of the day I would just hit the button and it would text that to my emergency contacts. It worked flawlessly and doesn't need phone coverage to work. I also use the 'All OK' function to let people know we have landed safely etc..true it costs a bit each year but I recommend them as an extra piece of safety gear.