Thread: For the astronomy fans - Transit of Venus today!

Goggles For the astronomy fans - Transit of Venus today!

For all the aviators and aviation enthusiasts out there who are interested in astronomy, an interesting and relatively rare event will take place today - the Transit of Venus across the Sun. This is when Venus passes directly between the Earth and the Sun, becoming visible as a small black disk that moves across the "face" of the Sun. The next transit will not take place until December 2117.

In the U.S., the transit begins at approximately 6:04 p.m. EDT, 5:04 CDT, 4:05 MDT, and 3:06 PDT. DO NOT look directly at the Sun to view the transit without appropriate protection. To view the transit safely, please follow these suggestions: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/Safely-View-the-Upcoming-Eclipse-and-Transit-150863835.html

Those of you with access to shade 14 arc welder glasses/helmets can use them to view the transit directly and safely.

Enjoy!!!

Zack

A shade number 12 welder lens is adequate, according to astronomer Bob Berman in his book about the sun. He has some very interesting history about this Venus Transit in his book: The Suns Heartbeat. click here:http://skymanbob.com/

Unfortunately for me, it is overcast here now. I may attempt a flight to a sunny area this afternoon, since I can't wait for the next transit. (105 years).

Well the clouds cleared for a few seconds and I saw Venus at about 3:30 pm pacific time. It started at the top of the sun.
    Then again at 4:30 it was about halfway across the top area.
    Used my #11 welding lens.

I'm still watching the transit of Venus here in Arizona where clouds are few and far between at this time of the year. Saw the first and second contacts through my 80-mm APO refractor with a mylar solar filter designed for the purpose and the best way to enjoy truly eye-safe viewing of a real image. We still have another couple of hours until sunset and I'll be watching all the way.
    Bill