Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use of Hero2 to critique landings.

Use of Hero2 to critique landings.

On pavement, I prefer to use wheel landings. As I was number 3 in a group of four J-3 Cubs, I was watching number 2 to clear the runway or give me enough space to land.
    What do you see that I didn’t? Be kind!

What do you see that I didn’t?
    One of those new fangled bendy props?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Rademacher View Post
    What do you see that I didn’t?
    A little overshoot of the runway centerline then correction - a little too far then another correction. I liked the open door and lean over to see - seems like that works pretty well.
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

Yep I agree you overshot your base to final turn then needed to steepen your turn (assuming you were flying a left traffic pattern). The weaving back and forth to pickup the runway centerline on final could have been avoided by making a timely, clean base-to-final 90 degree turn. It also would have allowed you to establish a stabilized approach which would have allowed you to focus on your flare instead of hunting for the runway centerline. Overall I think you did a pretty good job recovering. You know the old saying, 'Any landing you can walk away from is a good one...'
    PS I like your plane...
    -Joel

The one item that only a Cub driver would notice is that I didn't have my stall indicator (door down) active!

Ahem. I thought I solely owned the "Swooshie-dip-swoosh" maneuver displayed on a short final!

Usually I blame a crosswind for missing the turn (making it too late) and having to correct like that. You had full control and the adjustments were minor - looks like just another fine day flying to me!
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 05-31-2012 at 10:56 AM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

good job I'd say just to the rt of the center line as noted below - so it's important to really try and keep it in the center - so if you have to make corrections - either way you have the most amount of room - if you are running 5 feet off - to the right and a gust blasts the plane - or it bounces further over - etc.... you could be in trouble. It's a natural tendancy to land a bit to the rt if you are Rt brained or rt handed. that's what some instructor told me. not sure if I believe it. other wise that really was a non event. I fly a rV4 - in it's natural position or attitude - as you see it - sitting on the tarmac - it does not stall at the landing speeds - say 60mph - it's still flying so it really has a tendancy to bounce if you don't do everything perfectly if you want to 3 point on pavement. That's my plane anyways. I 2 wheel always on pavement - that way it looks great - seems there is always a coffee crowd critquing everyone landings - I come in faster about 77mph aprox. above 72 - level off - and simply hold that - slight bit forward on the stick - just as I feel the wheel touch - hold that for a bit - bring up my flaps - while maintaining a nice straight line down the middle - once I get that tail locked down - or on the ground feeding in more and more back stick - not too eagerly though - then gentally onto the brakes - unitl finally - usually this takes a bit of space - I've got down. safe and sound no bounce. I think you are right 3 point would work aweseom on grass - I did have the opportunity to try that a bunch in Oregon while doing transition training in an RV7.

Great video camera - nice clear picture what type of camera you got?

The video was taken using the Hero2 by GoPro. It is very small and light which are good qualities for use in a J-3 Cub. I purchased it last month to record my flights this summer to SJ and AirVenture. More info on the GoPro is found here -http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero2-motorsports-edition/

I am trying out the Wi-Fi BacPac & remote for use with the Hero2. Only three days till the flight to SJ. Within ten minutes,the winds had shifted because of the storms in the vicinity but clear and smooth near the airport.

Nice Video!

I have landed at Grimes with an unintentional tail wind in an Archer, which really likes to float, it's no big deal with a 4000 ft runway. That is really a sweet little bird, nice job.

Joe