Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Visiting Non US citizens flying 103 in the USA

All of the above seems to be true, but does not answer your questions, that is, who to talk to in TSA to get an official answer in writing. Sorry, I can not answer that directlly. However if you will go to the TSA web site I believe you will find a way to submit the question or get contact information that may or may not work for you from the land of OZ. If you want to persue this and can not get the answer you need, I will be willing to research and make calls for you, but I am slow and my wife says unreliable. If you do want to apply for clearance, even though it is not requilred, you wil need to do that after you arrive in the states, I think, as you need to present yourself and be fingerprinted, etc. all of which gets expensive and time consumming.

My professional oppinion would be to not get the clearance for two reasons. First because FAR and TSA regulations do not require it, and second, because you are not enrolling in a flight training program. You all ready know how to fly and there is no FAR 103 training authorization.

However, US flight training does require that individuals take and pass a yearly training course on TSA proceedures and safety. This is an online course that takes about an hour to complete and a certificate of completion is available. I would suggest that you bring that certificate with you in order to flog any overzealous TSA officials. In reality if you can make it through the airport security check for the flight over, you should be good to go. Welcome to the good old USA land of the free and home of the brave. Would you like to trade houses for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    However, US flight training does require that individuals take and pass a yearly training course on TSA proceedures and safety. This is an online course that takes about an hour to complete and a certificate of completion is available. I would suggest that you bring that certificate with you in order to flog any overzealous TSA officials. In reality if you can make it through the airport security check for the flight over, you should be good to go. Welcome to the good old USA land of the free and home of the brave. Would you like to trade houses for a while?
    Jedi, what TSA training are you referring to? There is TSA training required of CFIs. I attend FSI, SimCom, and SimuFlite and there is no TSA training required of their customers.

thanks.

Hunter Valley in New South Wales Australia
    It's all very interesting. Something that could bounce around in the courts for years while one wears orange.
    I'll will try and find someone in the TSA and see what there interpretation is. Anyway at least while they are trying to work it out it will keep them occupied and out of someones else's hair.
    be interesting to see how it fairs.
    Cheers
    Ozzie
    Australia!
    Land of the free, Girt by sea, and there is no escape!

I was refering to the CFI and other employee training as you suggested. You will be training yourself and therefore are the instructor as well as the student. The certificate should indicate to any out of place TSA agents that you know more about what you are doing than he might and he would acept your story that the student authorization is not required.

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Your post
    thanks Jedi.

use the KISS method

Why ask? Just come and fly. Who cares? It would be different for flying a rented GA aircraft: the rental FBO may ask a few questions ... maybe. Asking questions from any entity or burocrats is looking for trouble. Who would really care if you fly an ultralight? And BTW, TSA rules only apply for schooling and certainly not for ultralights. But don't even ask anybody unless you are looking for and want trouble. Come, fly and keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by belgianbuzzer View Post
    Why ask? Just come and fly. Who cares? It would be different for flying a rented GA aircraft: the rental FBO may ask a few questions ... maybe. Asking questions from any entity or burocrats is looking for trouble. Who would really care if you fly an ultralight? And BTW, TSA rules only apply for schooling and certainly not for ultralights. But don't even ask anybody unless you are looking for and want trouble. Come, fly and keep your mouth shut.
    I agree 100%. This is the best post I've seen on this subject.
    When asking the gooberment questions, you open a can of worms, then get an answer whether it's right or wrong.

That's my opinion also but i have some wombat over here that just won't get off my back about it. I think he is a little annoyed that i can just go over and have a heap of good old fashioned FUN. But it was in the back of my mind. It just all seems to easy. Anyways I work along the lines of that it is sometimes easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.
    Thanks again
    ozzie

Banned

Share the news - good or bad

AFTER the ball is over, do not forget to return to this discussion and tell how you DID get on. Then any future pilots can benefit as there will be a written record here.

I am a GA pilot in Oz who has not bothered with a medical for 6 years now, flying RAA (about equivalent to US LSA rules). EAA have told me there is NO provision for me to fly LSA in the States, so last year it was fly into Milwaukee then bus into Osh.

Sure will. It will take some time to plan out but boy wouldn't it be a buzz to fly into Airventure. Real shame the RAAus can't pick their game up and get in line with the US and European regulations. Especially in the weight area. People spend a fortune on some aircraft and they can't fly them at their rated MTOW. I've never been interested in the RAAus pseudo GA, as I've been a dedicated 'grass roots' type since '76. I only joined them under the threat of 2 years jail if i did not belong and register the lazair.