Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Acro Question?

The box is 3300 feet long, 3300 feet wide and 3300 feet tall.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right.

EAA Chapter 14, IAC Chapter 36

http://acrogimp.wordpress.com/

That's it?! It makes you guys control of your aircraft all the more impressive.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

depends I think - if it' s primary - sportsman etc.... it was noted above the sportsman box was 3500 cubed. feet. 3500 x 3500 x 3500. I believe correct me if I'm wrong it gets smaller and smaller moving int Advanced - and unlmiited. catagories. I fly also fast at about 160 - 190mph - and same as the 300L - it's flying right out of the box I also have to watch. I'm new at acro so I can make mistakes - it's what I seem to do best - but it's not important - what's important is that I do aerobatics and love doing it. I will get better and better at it - because I love doing it. I only started about 30hours ago. flying time. I took my first acro lessons the summer before last. Hooked on the first loop. Hope that helps - the IAC has an awesome website with lots and lots of good information you can download and print off etc... Whatever you do if you plan to do aerobatics get some professional instruction for sure. have fun but stay safe. frank.

The IAC contest box is 3300' x 3300', with a 164' buffer on each side, and then 3500' high for Primary, Sportsman, and Intermediate, 3609' (1100m) for Advanced, and 3280' (1000m) for Unlimited. BUT! Primary and Sportsman pilots may only fly down to 1500' AGL. Intermediate pilots may fly down to 1200' AGL. Advanced pilots may fly down to 656' (200m) AGL. Unlimited pilots may fly down to 328' AGL (100m). Confused yet? Advanced and Unlimited are consistent with international FAI CIVA rules.

So the box floor gets lower for the higher categories.

It is all in the IAC Official Contest Rules that you can find in the depths of the IAC web site.

Hope this helps,

Wes
    N78PS

Thanks for the clarification - I'm new to aerobatics - or fairly new - and have yet to compete in a full IAC contest - I'm looking forward to my first contest though hopefully this fall up in Rocky mountain house. i will be in primary and hope to do sportsman as well. THanks again for sharing your experise and knowelge for us newbies.

I flew the T-28 in primary and it was the only airplane I have ever flown that took the entire box to dive to looping speed after the spin. What a hoot.

Adam

Here's a link to the IAC website. It shows the aerobatic box.

A T28 in competition? Now that would be neat to see. I really enjoy seeing different types at competitions. A couple of years ago a friend of mine flew a Tiger Moth in Primary and scored quite well (.5% behind a guy in a Giles 202).
    Love seeing different types, particularly aeroplanes of the past back in the box. There is a chap that comes back every year to our Nationals in NZ to fly Sports in a 152 - does an awesome job too.
    Basically anything with fabric and two sets of wings and you have my full attention.

I am no T-28 expert, only have about 20 min flying time in two different ones. I have seen someone years back do some good acro in one at a show. BUT a word to the wise, long time acro show pilot Julie Clark bought a T-28 about 10 years ago and she doesn't do a low level acro act in it.
    I don't have any idea what stall/spin recovery is like in a 28, but I wouldn't want to find out near the ground.

To go to pretty much the opposite end of the scale, from dinosaur to feather; one of my favorite acro airshow acts was some years ago in California, maybe Minter Field, and was by a Curtiss Jenny. He did a spin, he began it at about 1000 feet and pulled out at about 600 feet. It was in such slow motion and so elegant that is seemed safe also. I still want to ride in and/or fly a Jenny.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 06-08-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Prom personal observation, a T-28 loses a good chunk of altitude in a spin.

There used to be a couple of T-Craft acro acts on the airshow circuit that started with multi-turn spins from relatively high. Took what seemed like a long time to come down and start figure 2.

If you want to see a true low performance, ground level aerobatic act, make a point of going to a John Mohr performance. He does a masterful routine in a stock 220HP no inverted system Stearman that stays stunningly close the the runway. If you want to see super energy management and a complete understanding of what the airplane can give you, his routine is a must-see. And his day job is captain for Northwest/Delta.

Fly safe,

Wes
    N78PS