Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: J3 kitten

hey patrick, that link goes nowhere.

Hello Jim, Just got to thinking, seeing that you have increased your weight by 35% and bent your axles upon landing have you done anything about your wing spar?

Hi Marty, I just googled you tube and typed in j3kitten when it came up. good luck

Got it. I did see the youtube video the other day when I was searching for a pic of a J-3 Kitten 'fastback' version.

No, but knowing what I know now, I would have made the main spar 1 in. higher since there is room. According to Tom Rhodes in "Stress without Tears" the main spar carries 2/3 of the load. My calculations show that my wing will take +6 -4 G at 500 lb gross, and at 625 lb, it will take + 4.8 G. That said, I do not fly in windy or rough weather, and slow down when it is bumpy.

Hello Jim, Tom Rhodes's stuff is way cool,and your numbers are rock solid. I use Strojnik and we agree exactly. I wish more people realized just what wounderful little aircraft our kittens really are. Don't know your location but I live on the Olympic peninsula in Washington state. Bad weather waits in ambush, if it ain't a rock face or a canyon its 40deg, saltwater and some sob planted telephone poles 20 ft. apart over the rest of it. Its either dust off the calculus books or move to Manitoba. Got ahold of Jim Marske over composites for my new wing,looks pretty good.......fly happy!

Hi Guys, Sorry about the rant. Decided to go composite for the new wing. Has anyone out there done this with a similar aircraft? Also, any thoughts on lightweight latex covering systems?

Hi everyone,

I have been fascinated with the J3 kitten and have interest in building one. I search the web for Hipps Superbirds and it appears they are out of business. How would I go about acquiring plans for this critter? Is anyone in the process of building this bird currently?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Hello flyrcboy Been away for 2 months. I share your fascination. My kitten is going back together slow but steady. And I am still intent on keeping it 103 weight and notchback. There are no plans available, unless you know someone willing to violate their licence agreement, or has a complete one in pieces that could be measured up and photographed. It would take a pretty good builder to reverse engineer it, but..............