Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: J3 kitten

J3 kitten

I am restoring a J3 kitten, needs a whole new wing built. I have a Rotax 337, set up with dual bing 54's. fuselage is done. I'm alittle bit worried about making U/L weight. Any help and/or advice I can get from Kitten flyers past or present would be greatly appreciated. (anybody got plans?) Thanks,patrick.

Having built and currently owning a J-3 Kitten, I can tell you that it is extremely difficult to meet Part 103. Your best bet is to do as I did and register it .

Quote Originally Posted by jimtho View Post
    Having built and currently owning a J-3 Kitten, I can tell you that it is extremely difficult to meet Part 103. Your best bet is to do as I did and register it .
    Jim, just out of curiosity, how much does your airplane weigh now in current form?

My J-3 Kitten (fast back version) with Rotax 447, starter, battery, and wheel pants has a net weight of 410 lb. and a gross weight of
    625 lb. It cruises at 65-70 mph at 5500 rpm and stalls at 40 mph.
    I have two tanks holding a total of 10 gal of fuel.

Difficult to make U/L weight? Darn tootin' Barely sqweeked by as built with a 227, no flight inst' or brakes. Your Kitten sounds like quite a machine! Did you do any airframe mods,(besides the fastback), to keep the strength/weight relationships as designed? When I put the new tubing in I kept the notchback for anumber of reasons. My thinking is that making weight with a "real" airplane wasthe Kittens' original purpose so I'll try. Composite wing? We'll see.

I bent the axles during early landings and made them solid by welding in a 4130 rod that just fit inside the axle tubing. I also replace the bunge cords with springs from Aircraft Spruce

My J-3 Kitten (fast back version)
    Hey Jim, you have any pics of you J-3 Kitten? I don't think I've ever seen the fast back version. If not, do you know of any pics on the internet? I'll look later but if you know any links I'd appreciate it.

I have pictures but do not know to attach to this reply.

I have pictures but do not know to attach to this reply.
    Thanks Jim. I googled pictures for "J-3 Kitten fastback" and variations thereof. I'm guessing there's not many fastback versions or the ones that have them don't own cameras.

youtubej3kittensoundsawesomefast anybody ever see balanced tailfeathers like this on a kitten before?.......good low speed maneuverability,I think.
    Last edited by patrickbrockhaus; 06-13-2012 at 07:07 PM.