Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All within the Class D airspace area at Oshkosh today

All within the Class D airspace area at Oshkosh today

Just to show it isn't too difficult to find something interesting to write about here the rest of year...

In the space of about 5 minutes, there was a Citation landing, a Sundowner taking off, a C421 doing an engine run on the ground, a Travel Air E-4000 flying in the pattern at Pioneer Airport, a DC-3 with the Basler turbo conversion doing a practice ILS approach on to 36 and the Sonex jet departing off 27.

Not bad for a Friday in Oshkosh outwith "Oshkosh"

Way too crowded for me Same day at Bermudian Valley - Opened the hangar door, no one around. Pushed the airplane out - no one around. Proped the airplane and did a run up - no one around. Took off, flew the pattern and landed - no one around. Did the same thing four more times - no one around. One turf runway - no waiting
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Jerry, I can see the appeal in your flying day - a grass strip would be nice. I just enjoyed the variety in such a short space of time - from the DC3 with new engines & the Travel Air to the two jets, one "run of the mill" & one very unique & ultra modern.

Name:  Sub Sonex.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  83.9 KB
    Last edited by Janet Davidson; 05-26-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet Davidson View Post
    Jerry, I can see the appeal in your flying day - a grass strip would be nice. I just enjoyed the variety in such a short space of time - from the DC3 with new engines & the Travel Air to the two jets, one "run of the mill" & one very unique & ultra modern.

Name:  Sub Sonex.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  83.9 KB
    I'd enjoy seeing the variety so I'm with you there Janet. That said, I think the Sonex jet is just as odd-looking/ugly as the prop version and it looks like they tried to rip off a V1 but couldn't find a big enough engine.

Same day at Bermudian Valley - Opened the hangar door, no one around. Pushed the airplane out - no one around. Proped the airplane and did a run up - no one around. Took off, flew the pattern and landed - no one around. Did the same thing four more times - no one around. One turf runway - no waiting
    There is something to be said for low traffic volumes as well. However, given how much I like to watch airplanes, I seldom get annoyed when I have to sit and do that from a ringside seat.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    I'd enjoy seeing the variety so I'm with you there Janet. That said, I think the Sonex jet is just as odd-looking/ugly as the prop version and it looks like they tried to rip off a V1 but couldn't find a big enough engine.
    Like this version of the Fly Baby? :-)

Name:  fb_mk2d.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  34.1 KB

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Like this version of the Fly Baby? :-)

Name:  fb_mk2d.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  34.1 KB

Ron Wanttaja
    LOL Yeah, something like that.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Hey Ron!,

Is there a Kit out for that "version" of the Fly Baby? It would probably raise hell with the noise suppression folks around Class D airports.

Joe

I flew just after 6:00 AM at OSH in a C172. I did see a 747, or something big, about 6 or 7 to the west, heading north, and a lawn mower by alpha, but nothing else around that time.
    plans building a Sonex!!

nfdlpilot,

At that time in the morning there's usually at least one of the freight guys going in to ATW, usually an Airbus. Perhaps that's what you saw?

The lawnmower type I can't help you with

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaMantia View Post
    Hey Ron!,

Is there a Kit out for that "version" of the Fly Baby?
    Nahhh... you can't fly it as Sport Pilot, so what's the point? :-)

A few years back, the guy from Apex Gas Turbines demoed his Solar T62 conversion at our EAA chapter. Seemed perfect for a Fly Baby, other than the tremendous heat and high gas consumption.

Ron Wanttaja