Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Materials for cockpit mockup

Mike,
    Whatever will get the job done - remember that perfection is the enemy of good enough. To liberally paraphrase Monty Python's Holy Grail, ".. It's only a mockup."
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Mike: Use PVC pipe and fittings to give the basic structure and cardboard and poster board where you need "solid surfaces" As for the seat, some cut up scrap lumber as necessary and if you make the seat back seperate, you could use a couple of bolts to hinge the back and bottom to work on the required angles. If you set the mock-up on the floor, you can leave the seat unattached and use some scrap blocks to support off the floor and at the correct height until you get it tuned in just like you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    Was that strong enough to actually sit in? I'm not exactly small. I want to make sure the seating position is comfortable for longer periods, as I have some lower back issues, I figured I would sit in it out in the shop while I watch the ball game.
    I worked for both my fiancee and myself. I'm 165 lbs and she's maybe 180 lbs. Then again, our mockup was just intended to sit on the floor and be used for ingress/egress experiments and instrument panel layout, etc. For the seats, we used a standard "conference" chair with padding glued on to the appropriate thickness and the base was simply a milk crate cut to the correct height. Not the prettiest mockup ever but it worked for our purposes.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Oh, crap - I just realized my circular saw is up in the attic where I was working on putting down a floor. It is already close to 100 up there.
    Why let that stop you. Here in Arizona, we don't stop working until the temperature hits 110 or so. 100 is no problem and I've already been working in the garage building my homebuilt with the temperature over 100 this year.
    Bill

If I was in Arizona it wouldn't bother me. It is ridiculously humid here.

If I was in Arizona it wouldn't bother me. It is ridiculously humid here.
    Now Mike......I live in the upper midwest and being from the Louisiana Gulf Coast, I have to laugh when people here tell me how humid it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Here in Arizona, we don't stop working until the temperature hits 110 or so.
    "We" who? I replaced a front axle on my car last week in my garage and thought I was going to die. You're a hardier soul than I!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    I'm 165 lbs and she's maybe 180 lbs.
    And if she reads these forums, you're a dead man.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

A bit of an update - I got some 1" white foam insulation from Menards for $8/sheet (1/2 what the pink stuff is & the pink was all tongue & groove).

I was initially going to clamp & glue it with construction adhesive, but my clamps are too short & I was too cheap to pay $39.99 each to buy longer ones, so I tried screwing a couple pieces together with 3" deck screws - it works pretty good, and I can take it apart if I want to change something. Using a carpenter's knife & my drywall square to score the foam, then snapping it just like drywall.

Name:  100_0366.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  94.2 KBLooks like I have a passenger... Name:  100_0367.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  91.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    And if she reads these forums, you're a dead man.
    No, she carries that "extra weight" very well if you follow my drift.

Looks like I have a passenger...
    LOL. BTW, what kind of car is that in the background of the first picture? I looks really familiar and very fun.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.