Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Materials for cockpit mockup

Materials for cockpit mockup

I want to build a cheap mockup of my cockpit to check out seating angle, instrument location, control location, etc.

Just wondering what you guys are using to build a mockup. I plan on building the finished plane with steel tube, I was going to build the mockup with cheap wood but the only straight wood I can find in sizes similar to what the tube will be are trim grade wood, and that costs almost as much as 4130. Most of what I am seeing that is cheap in the sizes I would use are filler & spacer stock which is so warped it is only suitable to start a fire with. I thought about using 3/8" plywood but it has gotten pretty pricey & none of it is straight either.

Cardboard with a minimal PVC pipe and wood frame worked just fine for the mockup of my LSA cockpit.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Was that strong enough to actually sit in? I'm not exactly small. I want to make sure the seating position is comfortable for longer periods, as I have some lower back issues, I figured I would sit in it out in the shop while I watch the ball game.

How about particleboard or MDF? Around $20 for particleboard and $30-$35 for MDF (4X8 sheets), but at least it will be straight and not warped.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

That is a thought. I might take a trip to the lumberyard later today. Too hot to be working outside, might as well be working on the plane design in the air conditioned shop.

Oh, crap - I just realized my circular saw is up in the attic where I was working on putting down a floor. It is already close to 100 up there.

My good sawhorses are up there also...

Another thing I was thinking about was cutting a mockup out of foam insulation & gluing it together, not sure how well the seat back would hold up though.

It would be a lot easier to cut out.

If you have a table or radial arm saw, you can rip cheap 2x4s into almost any size you want. I make almost all my own moldings that way, far cheaper than buying trim wood and I get the sizes I want, not just what the lumberyard sells.

Mike,
    Since you want to sit in your mockup, unless you are going build around something load bearing (like a chair), I'd stick to wood. YMMV....
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Mike,
    Since you want to sit in your mockup, unless you are going build around something load bearing (like a chair), I'd stick to wood. YMMV....
    I'm gonna look & see what my options & price are - I did find some 2" foam out in the barn that was left over from putting in the heated floor, I could use that as fill to keep the seat from caving in. (as long as it is sitting on the concrete floor)