Thread: landing competion

landing competion

For the past 20+ years there has been a landing competiton at the ultralight strip. does any one have the past scores and/or who has gotten the best score?

AWWWW, I see 65 people looking but no one knows
    I was hoping that someone, somewhere might know

Steve, in the early '90's (1992?), there was a spot landing contest on the UL strip. I, along with several others, ran it and I also wrote an article about it that was printed in the Experimenter magazine. I've got a copy somewhere, will try to find it. The winner was a Thundergull, 2nd was a Mirage and 3rd was a Kolb Firestar. It was a lot of fun and generated much excitement (big crowd). Unfortunately, afterward it was decided there was too much of a liability risk and it was discontinued. As I recall the pilot of the Thundergull was named Steve. If that was you, congratulations. Hope you've kept the trophy- it's unique.

Ya, thats me. I thought that the competition was an ongoing event every year, too bad it had to be cancelled
    As far as the trophy goes, its still on my wall. I havent been to OSH since then, too bad really, but life takes is turns. I am hoping to be there next year.
    We will have to see what happens

Glad to hear from you after all these years. You and your 'gull put on an impressive show. Do you still have it? Personally, I've always thought that competitions like Spot Landing created interest and would be a good tool to draw more UL aircraft to the Big Show.

I am afraid that i do not have that plane anymore. I 1/2 gave and 1/2 sold the plane to my dad. Unfortunately, he and the plane went down in '96 in Montana, too bad, he was a GREAT guy. I still have a realtionship with Earthstar to this day even though I dont build planes anymore.
    I agree that the competition was a great way to get people together. It really is ashame that the competition isnt still going. I firmly think that they should be re-started. I hope that things are going well with you

So sorry to hear about your dad. I lost mine to a stroke in '89. My biggest regret is he didn't live to see my fantastic wife and her equally fantastic daughter (IMHO). So now I relish being Grandpa to her 3 boys. The oldest- 12- has been to OSH with me for the last 3 years- much fun. Hope to see you there next year.