Thread: Sprayable sanding primer for composite

Sprayable sanding primer for composite

Looking for suggestions for a sprayable sanding primer that you have had success with that would be locally available (auto paint, etc.). Not necessarily a pinhole filler, but more of a good sandable primer that can be put on a cowling, wing tips and other composite parts. Cost is a factor, so if it is North of $100 a gallon it won't make my final cut list. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Looking for suggestions for a sprayable sanding primer that you have had success with that would be locally available (auto paint, etc.). Not necessarily a pinhole filler, but more of a good sandable primer that can be put on a cowling, wing tips and other composite parts. Cost is a factor, so if it is North of $100 a gallon it won't make my final cut list. Thanks.
    What will you be using for the finish coat? DuPont Uro Prime 3250S is good if you will be using any kind of modified urethane finish. High fill, sands easy, very popular with auto refinishers and boat repair shops so finding local supplier should be easy. Under $100....hummm, how much do you need? You might need to shop for some Glidden latex at that price.....

I second Dupont URO. I even brush it on with great results. Fast build up, takes care of pin holes, sands easy.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

I use US Paint
    D8001 base D3001 converter. Its epoxy based available from marine supply houses, should be about $80 a gallon
    Disclaimer ; opinions of others will vary depending on what they’re selling.

http://the-grand-design.com/

I use EkoPrime Primer/Sealer - Smoke Gray Quart, It ships with out haz-mat thins with water, and the guns clean up with soap and water and what you don't use goes back in the can.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/KustomShop/images/DOCS/P-169P.PDF

M
    ost popular among canard builders. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for in paint.

I used NAPA 15200 Acrylic Primer - Surfacer. Builds up & sands very smooth.

Thanks for the replies!

I will be using Stewarts Systems topcoat. I have EcoFill and use it, but haven't enjoyed sanding it. I like it for the base. I like a two-part for the sanding. Andy

11 to 15 $ in can nowdays. epoxy primer at local body shop supply. used on my wheelpants then wet sanded.