Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ipad Readability in the cockpit

Ipad Readability in the cockpit

I am awaiting the release of Ipad 3 to see if there is an improvement over what many are criticizing as poor readability when the Ipad is in a bright light situation, such as an RV canopy, not just in full sunlight. I would appreciate comments from Ipad users who fly with it as to difficulty, if any, in reading the screen while in flight in a fairly light atmosphere such as my RV will have. (I plan, if I go ahead with the Ipad 3, to marry it to a SkyRadar ADS-B unit with WingX software...this looks good as a combination, but only IF I will be able to see it in daylight.)
    Thanks for any input.

I gave an iPad 2. The best thing I ever did was get an anti glare screen protector for it. It makes the screen readable in all bit the worst conditions I imagine that the 3 will be the same.

I have been flying with the IPad2 in my RV6 for about 6 months. It is easy enought to read 90-95% of the time. it works well in all but direct sunlight at low sun angles, even then, it can be read with a slight adjustment to the angle. If you consider this along with the fact that when you really need to look at it you will likely be in the soup, ie no or reduced sun. the screen may be improved with the IPad 3 but, I think you will be pleased with either. You cannot beat the product utility that you get for a very low price!

Thanks for the input folks. Wilfred

I have the original iPad. Although the sun does affect the screen readability, it's good enough that it doesn't bother me in the least. I have an open view to the sky in my cockpit, so lot's of sunlight.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

when folks answer, it would help some of us (ok, me) if y'all would say which model iPad and what type aircraft. more than "mine works good for me the way i use it."

thanks

Unfortunately, the high ambient light fidelity of current transmissive modulatory LC displays is unlikely to increase significantly in the short term due to ambient light diffusion and contrast between voltage-on and off pixels. (the backlight still transmits even when all orthogonal liquid crystals are in the voltage -off state..)

Apple currently uses an LED backlit in-plane switching tft transmissive lc display for it's mobile products. Sunlight readability could be improved slightly if Apple switched to an emissive display, such as OLED, like Samsung's active matrix and "super" active matrix display technologies, but fidelity would still not be comparable to a transflective or reflective display.

Quote Originally Posted by tdm View Post
    Unfortunately, the high ambient light fidelity of current transmissive modulatory LC displays is unlikely to increase significantly in the short term due to ambient light diffusion and contrast between voltage-on and off pixels. (the backlight still transmits even when all orthogonal liquid crystals are in the voltage -off state..)

Apple currently uses an LED backlit in-plane switching tft transmissive lc display for it's mobile products. Sunlight readability could be improved slightly if Apple switched to an emissive display, such as OLED, like Samsung's active matrix and "super" active matrix display technologies, but fidelity would still not be comparable to a transflective or reflective display.
    I'm reasonably certain at least part of that post was in English.... LOL As if I didn't feel out of touch with regards to technology before.....thanks TDM! LOL
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

There are a couple simple things that you can do depending on where the device is located. I run into this as well with any device I have mounted to the yoke of my plane (Piper Archer II). While I don't have one on my iPad, an antireflective screen protector helps. Works well on my iPhone, for sure.

The other thing I noticed, direct sunlight not withstanding, is that if I'm wearing a light colored shirt, the light shining on the screen keeping me from seeing it as well is actually being reflected off my shirt. I found that if I wear a darker shirt (one fellow I know of actually has a black "bib" that he wears while flying to minimize glare - not for me, though) the reflection is greatly minimized.

I realize that if you fly in a fishbowl-type aircraft like an RV, CX-4, or anything else with a bubble canopy, the last thing you're probably going to want to do is dress in black! My iFly 700 has a nice sunshade available for it, but I'm not sure how feasible that kind of device would be for an iPad, though. A quick Google search turned up this guy:

http://iclipsestore.com/

Seems a little (lot) bulky for an aircraft application, but wonder if something similar could be fashioned.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris In Marshfield; 01-20-2012 at 07:20 AM.

With the anti glare protector I have on my iPad 2 I have no trouble viewing it in the sun in the aircraft a fly: Cessna 172 182, Piper Navajo, Kingair 350. Also works equally as well in the car as a moving map gps. Best 10 bucks that I ever spent for it is a Griffen Anti Glare screen protector. Made a world of readability difference.