Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Trip to AirVenture!

First Trip to AirVenture!

Well, I'm going to OSH for AirVenture 2012 and since I'm a renter, can't afford to take the trip by air. Most of the guys that are local if they are going are driving too, very few seem to be making the flight this year.

So, I'm going to make the best of it and go by motorcycle, taking my touring bike loaded up with the camping gear and sunblock, I'll be on my way. It will be a great way to see roadside america when I get off the super slabs and see some sights. Going West from Philadelphia PA area I"m going to stop at a pilot buddy's house for the night in Ohio. After many discussions with local pilots of the Chicago area, and some motorcyclists on other forums, it seems best for me to stay away from Chicago since I am not familiar with the area.

Name:  Trip West Plan B.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  87.9 KB

I've purchased my daily passes for three days, and my camping for Scholler. I'm hoping that arrival on Sunday mid-afternoon - 5pm will be alright, without to long of lines in traffic to reduce the chance of overheating the motorcycle. I'm assembling my "bucket list" of things to see tihs year since I know I"ll only have three days to get a small taste of what AirVenture has to offer.

I figure Monday I'll get the lay of the land and try to find some friends in the N40. Tuesday I'd like to take a flight in the Bell helicopter or the Ford Tri-motor if they are flying, so really get the sight of how big AirVenture is. Then see the ultralights/gyrocopters/etc. I'm really excited to see the warbirds and the Corsair on Wednesday.

Name:  Trip East Plan B.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  92.9 KB

Thursday, pending weather during the week, I'll then have to depart and begin my journey home. Hopefully with a few camera cards filled up with my first AirVenture highlights. Again, now during the business week, I"m going to avoid Chicago by hopfully catching the Lake Express Ferry to Michigan, and then down around Lake Erie and east to a family cabin or home.

By then, I'll need a vacation from my vacation .....

Have you looked into the ride share program ?????. On the EAA website is a link you can check to see if someone near you is looking for someone to fly to Oshkosh with them . Perhaps yo. Can still fly

The first year I wanted to go to Oshkosh I put out requests a number of places for ride share. I got three offers no problem including Paul Bertorelli who flew down from CT to Manassas, VA to pick me up.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    So, I'm going to make the best of it and go by motorcycle, taking my touring bike loaded up with the camping gear and sunblock, I'll be on my way.
    I've noticed several campers in Scholler who travel long distances via motorcycle. Sounds like fun. I can verify the LM ferry beats driving through Chicago although we took the 4 hr cruise on the Badger, not the Express ferry.

With 3 daughters, I'm considering this my "Man-cation" as my wife may term it, and taking the motorcycle is the most cost effective method of travel that I came up with. Plus, it will allow me to see the country in a different way, once I get off the super-slabs of the interstates anyway. I'm looking at www.roadsideamerica.com for some sights to see near my fuel stops, even if it is just a few minutes to stretch my legs and take a photo. Going to be an epic trip, that is for certain.

Really looking forward to making the trip and getting a taste of AirVenture. Hopefully then I can return another year and stay the week, maybe even bring one of the kids, or, if the finances are better I may be able to fly in.

You will have a great time, just take your time driving. The SS Badger isn't a bad idea, you could also swing up through MI & the Mackinaw bridge if time permits. You would have a lot of camping options up that way.

Going around Chicago isn't that bad, they do have a newer 'beltway' to the West, I-355. Dealing with NE IL traffic would be the most economical way to go. If so I'd look over the route ahead of time, be rested, & take it easy. As always one needs to drive super defensively on a motorbike, compensating for other drivers. I've been an off & on again biker for over 30 years, currently scooting around on a DR-650 Enduro.

Yes, if you go over to I-39 & then up through Rockford you will have few traffic worries, compared to Chicago.
    Last edited by Joe Delene; 05-22-2012 at 03:47 PM.

I wonder why you don't consider a arriving on Saturday? Work schedule? If so, I understand. Anyway, from what you posted, I think it would be nice to use that "two day" first wristband (Sunday and Monday). Yes, you can wander around on Sunday, get a lot of your sightseeing out of the way. You will at least be able to see what is what. I will be arriving (by Cessna 195) on Saturday afternoon. I want Sunday, too. You will have a great time.

I'll second the ride-share page on EAA's website. A couple of years ago I posted for a ride and quickly found a guy in Mesa, AZ who was taking his 182 and wanted someone to ride along and help with gas. Sadly, work got in the way and I had to cancel my trip. Still haven't made my first-timer's trek to OSH.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Hey, I am going also! I will be leaving Parkersburg at 0800 Sunday morning drive up to Cambridge Oh. and then the exact same route you have planned. My estimate puts me in Oshkosh about 7 or 8 pm (depending on how many stops my young padawan ((9 year old grandson)) has to make). I also look forward to the "Sunday Twofer" to get the camp set up and "wander around to get my bearings"! Sounds like I may actually see you on the road! I will be in a Blue HHR with my AOPA/EAA stickers on the back window and a car full of camping stuff! I will have my CB on all the way and known as "Southern Comfort" (A throw back to my now extinct drinking days) on 19.

I have plans to be there all week, subject to the wims of my young padawn, Hope to see ya on the road and at the show!!!

I have been to almost all the States and a lot of europe but never been to Wisconsin or Alaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Gently56 View Post
    Hey, I am going also! I will be leaving Parkersburg at 0800 Sunday morning drive up to Cambridge Oh. and then the exact same route you have planned. My estimate puts me in Oshkosh about 7 or 8 pm (depending on how many stops my young padawan ((9 year old grandson)) has to make). I also look forward to the "Sunday Twofer" to get the camp set up and "wander around to get my bearings"! Sounds like I may actually see you on the road! I will be in a Blue HHR with my AOPA/EAA stickers on the back window and a car full of camping stuff! I will have my CB on all the way and known as "Southern Comfort" (A throw back to my now extinct drinking days) on 19.

I have plans to be there all week, subject to the wims of my young padawn, Hope to see ya on the road and at the show!!!

I have been to almost all the States and a lot of europe but never been to Wisconsin or Alaska!
    56, here is a thought for you.....if you are dring your HHR from the south, take a quick look at Brodhead, WI, which has an aviation event every year on the weekend before OSH. Brodhead is north west of Beloit, which is near the southern border of Wisconsin, not far from Rockford. Your grandson will like what he sees at Brodhead. Generally, it is the Pietenpol reunion, but that little airport is populated by a lot of old airplanes......that actually FLY. I love that place. Have a great time with your grandson.

I have been to OSH over 30 times, quit counting. I also went to the last Rockford flyin. I have flown in to OSH, sailed in to OSH (20 nm from Fon du Lac), RV'd into OSH, tented at OSH. I have never arrived by seaplane, train, motorcycle, or submarine and those are still on my list. Come to the Cessna 195 parking area with your grandson and say hi. I am gray and white, polished prop (the plane that is).