Well, I'm going to OSH for AirVenture 2012 and since I'm a renter, can't afford to take the trip by air. Most of the guys that are local if they are going are driving too, very few seem to be making the flight this year.

So, I'm going to make the best of it and go by motorcycle, taking my touring bike loaded up with the camping gear and sunblock, I'll be on my way. It will be a great way to see roadside america when I get off the super slabs and see some sights. Going West from Philadelphia PA area I"m going to stop at a pilot buddy's house for the night in Ohio. After many discussions with local pilots of the Chicago area, and some motorcyclists on other forums, it seems best for me to stay away from Chicago since I am not familiar with the area.

Name:  Trip West Plan B.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  87.9 KB

I've purchased my daily passes for three days, and my camping for Scholler. I'm hoping that arrival on Sunday mid-afternoon - 5pm will be alright, without to long of lines in traffic to reduce the chance of overheating the motorcycle. I'm assembling my "bucket list" of things to see tihs year since I know I"ll only have three days to get a small taste of what AirVenture has to offer.

I figure Monday I'll get the lay of the land and try to find some friends in the N40. Tuesday I'd like to take a flight in the Bell helicopter or the Ford Tri-motor if they are flying, so really get the sight of how big AirVenture is. Then see the ultralights/gyrocopters/etc. I'm really excited to see the warbirds and the Corsair on Wednesday.

Name:  Trip East Plan B.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  92.9 KB

Thursday, pending weather during the week, I'll then have to depart and begin my journey home. Hopefully with a few camera cards filled up with my first AirVenture highlights. Again, now during the business week, I"m going to avoid Chicago by hopfully catching the Lake Express Ferry to Michigan, and then down around Lake Erie and east to a family cabin or home.

By then, I'll need a vacation from my vacation .....