Thread: First aerobatic ride of the season

First aerobatic ride of the season

It was nice in Seattle on Saturday, so I gave the first aerobatic ride of the summer in the Extra 300L. YouTube video:

To answer several common questions:

The flight was from Boeing Field (KBFI).

For more information about the maneuvers, see my aerobatics page.

Here's where we flew (larger map here):

The in-cockpit "hero" cam is a ContourHD. The exterior views are from the built-in (pre-HD) camera system in my Extra 300L.

Nice approach Bruce, very comforting and confidence building in how you have your rider/pilot sample the manuevers. The Extra 300L is such an amazing machine, very honest, very capable. Thanks for sharing!
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right.

EAA Chapter 14, IAC Chapter 36

http://acrogimp.wordpress.com/

Here's a video of an introductory aerobatic lesson. The pilot/student had no previous experience with aerobatics other than the spins required for a CFI applicant. Note that I'm not trying to teach competition figures. The goal here is to introduce a pilot to aerobatics and give him a chance to try some of the basics (after all, most aerobatic maneuvers involve only a few elements: lines, rolls, and looping segments). If this customer continues (and I think he's caught the bug), we'll do more repetitions, include other maneuvers, such as inverted flight, 45-degree up and down lines, etc., do more repetitions of basic maneuvers, and include practice with a variety of stalls, incipient spins, spins, and proficiency maneuvers, such as the falling leaf (upright and inverted).

You can find links to aerobatic training programs at my Aerobatics and Stall/Spin pages and at the IAC website. Those links often include descriptions of the training programs offered by instructors and flight schools that specialize in such training.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for sharing this.

regards,
    Andy

I've put a few more videos up on my YouTube channel. Some show specific maneuvers; others are highlights from aerobatic rides, such as this one (Note: no audio; I suggest a tune like "Sparkle" by Rubyhorse, but you can play your own soundtrack):

My most enthusiastic passenger so far this year. I've now connected cockpit audio to the GoPro, so you can hear ATC and our conversation over the intercom.

Highlights from Aerobatic Rides this Summer

Here's a link to a long video that shows highlights from this summer's aerobatic rides. None of these folks are pilots. They just wanted to experience aerobatics--or they had a spouse or significant other who gave them a gift to celebrate a birthday or other special occasion.

I've also collected still images captured from the video into a gallery that you see here.

Wow that is really cool! Looks like loads of fun! I was lucky enough to get my first ride in an Extra 300L by Jeff Granger. It was a hoot, but I was only good for about :15 before my stomach starting talking to me. Those Extras are incredible machines!
    Brent Owens
    RV-8 'Contrary Mary' - Flying
    www.fixedwingbuddha.com

That's a great video, Bruce. What a way to make a living!