Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many airports have you landed at?

6 yrs. - my nickels...

Name:  clip_image002.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  38.5 KB

I think AcroGimp's map is most interesting. From placement of the pins, it is very difficult to identify where his home base might be.

Looking at my map, it's pretty obvious I am based in Oklahoma.
    And from the look of riki's map, I am guessing he is based in California.

Fun discussion!

I learned to fly and did most of my flying in the Midwest (Wichita area), including earning my Instrument and Commercial tickets which took me to MO and OK while I worked at Beechcraft. Took some trips to Omaha and Denver, the old Biplane Convention when it used to be in Bartlesville OK, got my mountain checkout flying into Salida CO on a 100 degree day. Flew at OSH and Sun N' Fun and while on vacation in Las Vegas, and Apalachicola FL. Flew at ABQ and KAEG in Albuquerque while I worked at Eclipse. Sampled WY and OR when consulting on an Epic LT build, and am now based in San Diego.

If the question about average hours was directed towards me, my flying has been in fits and starts, occasional periods of training and regular flying, interspersed with periods of inactivity measured in months or years. I blame the triple paradox of time, weather and money - you have to have all 3 at the same time to fly.

Since I took up aerobatics a couple months ago, I am averaging about 4 hrs/mo in the Extra 300L.
    Last edited by AcroGimp; 05-22-2012 at 09:44 PM.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right.

EAA Chapter 14, IAC Chapter 36

http://acrogimp.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AcroGimp View Post
    I am averaging about 4 hrs/mo in the Extra 300L.
    WOWEEE! That's gotta be a blast! Lucky guy.

Oh, geez, I've only been PIC for six airports.

Gotta get that plane built - renting an airplane is just too killer to the checkbook for serious cross country!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

While certainly not a lot, I do have some interesting ones as PIC. Perhaps one of the really coolest was in a rented Grumman Tiger landing on Corregidor.

What are some of the interesting places you guys have landed as PIC?

38 Airports. Several in NJ when I started / rec'd my PPL, most in TX where I've resided for 30 yrs. Flew a bit in Palm Springs in the late 70's when I visited with relatives for a few wks each year.

Most fun was flying out of the Old Sarum flying club near Salisbury England whilst on a 2 wk business trip. Grass strip that was really just an inch or two of turf over chalk. They just had to scrape off the turf to create the runway numbers. Flew over Stonehenge. Interesting to use QNE/QNH and altimeter in millibars. When I commented on that, the instructor said to me quite dryly, "Get used to it, Yank; you're in the rest of the world, now!" Didn't bother getting checked out for solo flight in the UK; even back then (2003), was horrendously expensive. Best part was that I took a co-worker along in the back seat. Made the absolute best grease-her-on landing ever in my entire life.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Name:  airports.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  10.6 KB

These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head and I left out the stuff I've only been too in an ultralight because I quite frankly never kept a logbook of those flights so I have long since forgotten the few that I haven't been to in a bigger aircraft. There are some out west and probably a few other that I can't think of at the moment given my sleep deprivation. I'll update it once I wake up.

Total time: 400-500 hours (300-400 of that in ultralights)
    Airports: 55, no grass strips in anything but an ultralight and even then I tried to avoid them
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Once you've landed at all the airports in the brown Jepp book, you can retire.
    NoBama

Get her finished up Frank. Building is great but flying is better; about 700 hrs on my homebuilt GlaStar and now I'm counting states instead of airports. Retiring in June so hopefully I can add to my map.
    Juliette
    Attached Images Attached Images