Thread: aeronca 11cc, LSA Harmonization

aeronca 11cc, LSA Harmonization

LSA Harmonization in Europe, the coming light-sport aircraft rule:
    Could this harmonazation keep the Aeronca 11CC Chief, which was discluded from LSA by the FAA, from becoming abandoned.
    The MTOW would have to be raised to 1350 lbs, a mere 30 lbs from 1320lbs.
    I suppose this may not be brought about because of the oppisition of those LSA companies wanting to sell new aircraft.
    To bad for the Aeronca 11CC, a near duplicate of the 11AC and 11BC, type certified with a Max Gross Wt only 100 lbs heavier than its brothers.
    That is all.
    Last edited by GASMAN; 08-06-2011 at 06:42 PM.

I suppose this may not be brought about because of the oppisition of those LSA companies wanting to sell new aircraft.
    I don't know that's a fair statement.

The FAA bumped the original gross weight for LSA qualifications twice to the present 1,320 - and in the process "de-harmonized" with the EU and ICAO.

I think any numbered limit on gross weight is going to be viewed as biased against certain aircraft, as there are so many different types out there. If they made the weight limit 1,350 and the Chief was suddenly LSA qualified somebody will then complain that another aircraft with a gross weight of 1,360 was unfairly left out for whatever nefarious reason they could imagine - and lobby to have the limit changed to include it.
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 08-23-2011 at 01:39 AM.