Thread: Rudder from Unknown Airplane...

Rudder from Unknown Airplane...

So, last weekend I was at the AirAdventure and bought the rudder (see the photo) at one of the tents.

I plan to hang it on my airplane themed living room wall (i.e. my mancave) as I thought it would make a good conversation piece. The previous owner acquired it from buying a pile of airplane parts somewhere in OK. He believes that it came from a WWII era airplane...either military or a heavy civilian aircraft. It stands about 69" high and is about 32" wide.

I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of airplane it was from. Thanks....pistolpeat32
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hard to tell from the single picture, but it's also quite possible that you've got an elevator there not a rudder.
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 08-03-2011 at 11:02 AM.

It's a Fairchild PT-19 rudder.Name:  M62A2.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  92.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by michaelj2k View Post
    It's a Fairchild PT-19 rudder.
    If so it is missing a bit off the top

Thanks for the responses...I've had a few people tell me that it may be half of an elevator.

The PT-19 is a good call, I checked the top of the rudder and there is indeed a piece missing from the top. I found a picture of the frame on the internet of someone restoring one and mine matches up pretty close.

That's really cool! Keep us posted if you come to a conclusion on what it is.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

I was 95% sure it was a PT-19 (thanks to the Mikes above) until I looked at the PT-23 and 26. The rudders all seem very similar.

BTW...nice webiste Chad...

Quote Originally Posted by pistolpeat32 View Post
    Thank you! I hope to have the beginning of the Tailwind build site up by Monday!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by pistolpeat32 View Post
    I was 95% sure it was a PT-19 (thanks to the Mikes above) until I looked at the PT-23 and 26. The rudders all seem very similar.

PT-19, 23 and 26 were virtually identical airframes from Fairchild. PT-19 had inverted inline Ranger engine where the PT- 23 had Continental. The PT-26, built for the RCAF was a PT-19 with canopy.