Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Airport Manager and Hangar Rules

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    "Yes, no and it kind of doesn't matter in a way." I sounds like a typical goverment answer.
    It does don't it? LOL

I was trying to point out that there are regulations specific to fire prevention and suppression on airports but at the same time there are no across the board standards for universal use (since it depends on what "type" of airport it is) and that it doesn't really matter because all the other applicable (industrial as an example) fire codes for the national, state and local level are applicable and these are the ones most likely to be enforced by an inspector since they are the regulations they are most familiar with.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Storing fuel inside the fuel tanks of a C-340 is not a good idea either......

Attachment 1995
    What the hell happened there?
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    What the hell happened there?
    No kidding, I want to know too, and if anything that picture should show that the wing tanks of a 340 are a GREAT place to store fuel. Another Brand "C" would probably not have fared so well.

The operator said he noticed a fuel odor when entering the plane over a 3 week period prior to the accident. One day he got in, turned on the master switch which made a tiny spark, the one in a million odds that the fuel air ratio would be perfect hit jackpot and BOOM! There he was sitting in the seat, plane disintegrated around him, hand still on the master switch, saying "What the........?"

If you step back and look at the big picture, storing gasoline in a proper storage container is no more dangerous than than storing it in a vehicle fuel tank. It has to be handled with care, obviously. A requirement stating fuel can be in a hangar ONLY when in a vehicle tank may theroetically reduce the "Bubba risk" so Bubba won't keep his gasoline filled milk jug in the hangar but since Bubba has a plane, all bets are off.

As Marty said, fuel in proper a container is no problem.
    Draining fuel in the hangar is a big mistake however, the fumes and static from the flow can start a fire. Don't fill or defuel in the hangar with no wind to blow away the fumes. And be careful outside when defueling as well.

The reason you see a lot of these types of rules being enforced at many airports has a lot more to do with limiting the airports liability in the event of a fire or accident. As a Commisioner at our local airport I have fought against many rules of a similar nature. By enforcing the fire codes and limiting what you can store in your hanger the risk of fire canbe greatly reduced, and in the event a fire occurs it greatly reduces the airports liability exposure. I am all for reducing the fire risk and for common sense rules. You cannot however eliminate all risk and that is why you buy insurance. If airport management fails to exercise good sense they will likely end up with a bunch of empty hangars and reduced income. I really do get sick of hearing about liability, Life is full of risk, it can be managed but not at the expense of being scared to live.

Let's get serious

Seriously, guys. This is such an old story. It's about power trips by martinets. My advice is to simply threaten the man with physical violence if he doesn't just get out of your business. Some of you will feel that this goes too far. But reasoned response simply doesn't work with these jerks. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by blansburgh View Post
    It's about power trips by martinets. My advice is to simply threaten the man with physical violence if he doesn't just get out of your business. ... reasoned response simply doesn't work with these jerks.
    regrettably true. but a threat has no power if not credible. are you willing to follow through? hypothetically, of course, because none of us would ever actually punch anybody's lights out. nope. not me. never. and certainly not you. no, sir, officer.

Violence is not the way.. I found that you can fix alot of things in life with a big howdy a weber grill, a fridge full of beer/ sodas and a big smile. The rules don't seem that bad anyway. Just a means to keep everyone getting along. The only rule I didn't like is the more than one plane in a hanger but I am sure there is a compromise availiable. See aviation trouble makers http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...Trouble-Makers
    Last edited by RV8505; 05-24-2012 at 08:26 PM.

We run a small airport, and we've sent out the same kind of notice to renters in the past. It boils down to a piece of paper that we can point to, when something happens, that shows that we weren't negligent and that we notified the renters. Everybody hates to hear about "liability", but if the row of hangars burn down I'll bet you'll want some money for your damaged plane. If the insurance company sees any sort of code violation they may not pay, and we'll be asking you to.

You need to TALK with the manager. We aren't a bunch of kill joys and jerks that have nothing better to do than to limit what you can do in your rented hangar. We want to keep the airport running for longer than you do! Here is my take on the list:

* The insurance for our airport requires that the hangars be used for aircraft and not as a general storage facility. Amazingly we have to require that at least one aircraft has to be parked in the hangar because we have had people who want to just rent it as a cheap storage building. We don't limit what else gets put in the building, but maybe the insurance does at your place. So, unless you want to pay higher rent for the additional insurance rider, then obey. Again, TALK with the manager. It may be a situation where a single individual made it an issue.

* Looks like a few of the items are fire codes. They probably should have included that all chemicals should be in a fire cabinet too. Again, this is so that when something does explode and the insurance company says that they aren't going to pay because we didn't follow code, we can point to the letter that was sent and you get to pay for the damage. Remember, we like you as a renter, but we want the airport to survive.

* I can see the "one plane per T-hangar" rule. It wouldn't be a problem with folding wings or a project plane, but we did have one individual that tried to park two planes in an open-front T-hangar. One plane always had a wing and prop slightly out in the taxi area. Again, talk with the manager, and see what the real issue is.

* Painting. This is a huge one for me. I have a hangar that I can rent to you with nice metallic blue paint on the inside from the last guy who wanted to "touch-up" his plane. Can't tell you how many concrete floors have paint outlines from misc painted parts too. The problem is that you have to make the rules strict enough to keep the idiots from damaging anything. Having a good relationship with the manager and being respectful with everyone's property will go a long way towards the airport owners turning a blind eye towards your "infractions".