Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Airport Manager and Hangar Rules

painting in the hangers is not a good idea. There was a guy painting in our t hangers in hartford and the over spray drifted thru the hangers and got on everyones planes.. It cost the fellow responsible alot of money and several friends in the process.
    Last edited by RV8505; 05-21-2012 at 12:47 PM.

The latest news finds many X-rays are not needed, so I asked if I could skip the routine X-ray. They said fine, just sign a release.
    Sorry to go completely off-topic: The dentist I go to hear locally was talking about that at my last appointment. He made the comment that he'll skip them if doesn't feel their necessary but if it's really necessary in his mind and the patient is concerned about cost, the easiest way to save money is to waive the fees for the x-rays.

Perhaps if you sign a release and assume responsibility for painting, etc. they will allow it.
    I find that 9 times out of 10, if you act nicely and assume the legal culpability, you can get permission to damn near anything.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    painting in the hangers is not a good idea. There was a guy painting in our t hangers in hartford and the over spray drifted thru the hangers and got on everyones planes.. It cost the fellow responsible alot of money and several friends in the process.
    Exactly. My plane has gotten overspray on it at least twice, possibly three times because different neighbors were "just touching up a wingtip" or something. Without a paint booth and an appropriate filter system on the extraction side of the booth, there will be overspray problems. The only question is which way the wind blows it.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlB View Post
    Our current airport manager came out with a new set of hangar rules. Although I, (others disagree with me), think part of the rules are ok, I think the manager is overly aggressive with some of the rules.
    ok, this isn't really new. is there a universal fire code for airports or something? somebody out there knows the source of these rules that keep popping up all over the place. they usually come about after a change in airport management when somebody goes to a qualification school for govspec and comes back all hyped up. most make some sense, like the one about only one aircraft per hangar just to maximize revenue. but some don't, like what gets stored in hangars. why NOT rent out hangars for just plain ol' storage if they'd be empty instead? include a lease provision that the rental is only until an aircraft needs space, make some bucks. etc etc

anyway, if you know the source for stupid, please post the link along with your experiences on fighting it.

Not that I am aware of. There are several model codes but fire codes tend to vary a lot.

Frankly, those aren't the worst rules I've seen. Frankly, if it were me I would BAN fuel not inside of vehicle tanks. Gasoline has no business being stored inside of hangars other than in the aircraft. Most of the major hangar fires I've seen have involved some fuel mishandling.
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 05-22-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    ok, this isn't really new. is there a universal fire code for airports
    Most airports and government facilities now are required to be in compliance with NFPA 30 part of the national fire codes.

is there a universal fire code for airports or something?
    Yes, no and it kind of doesn't matter in a way. They are beholden to the various local and state regulations as well as NFPA 30 and the regs pertinent to ARFF at whatever level of service they provide.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

"Yes, no and it kind of doesn't matter in a way." I sounds like a typical goverment answer.

Storing fuel inside the fuel tanks of a C-340 is not a good idea either......

Name:  340 blast.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  9.9 KB

The trick to if rules are rediculous or not is enforcement.

"No storing wood" is a prime example of how this could be abused. Having a pallet in the corner to keep stuff off the floor or a 2x4 propped against a shelf shouldn't bring the wrath of Airport Authorities, but a big stack of random lumber is a rodent's hotel and shouldn't be allowed.

If building is allowed, a lumber rack for wooden planes should be able to get a quick blessing.

Of course all of this assumes that the airport people actually look at what's going on in hangars.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.